Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '02 Sportage 4x4 with a 5-speed and I wanted to tow it behind my motor home with all 4 wheels on the ground. The manual states I can do this for up to 400 miles but contradicts itself in regards to what gear to put the transfer case and the tranny. In one section it says (transfer/tranny) 2H/neutral then in another it says Neutral/Neutral. I can't get a staight answer from Kia or the dealship. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to fry either one. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you found the answer to this? I will be doing the same thing with my 2000 Sportage.

Once source said that I need manual locking front hubs. Is that true? (Towingworld.com).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by jzk@Jan 10 2005, 06:23 PM
Have you found the answer to this? I will be doing the same thing with my 2000 Sportage.

Once source said that I need manual locking front hubs. Is that true? (Towingworld.com).
1) If u have manual locking hubs ... keep them unlock ...

2) trans manual/auto ... put it in neutral...

3) transfercase .... put it in neutral ....

* if it will be a really long ride/tow and u want to make sure no problem will occur .. remove the rear drive shaft ...

hope this helps ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1995 Sportage, 5 Speed Manual Tranny and I tow it 4-down all the time. I put the tranny in neutral and the transfer case in 2H. I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip towing the Sportage behind my motorhome with absolutely no problems. I do, however, try to stop about every 400 miles and start the engine and let it run a few minutes. By the way, towing instructions indicate 55mph maximum speed, but I believe that may have to do with manufacturer's liability or whatever. I routinely tow mine at 65-70mph with no problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I towed in Neutral/Nuetral there was a slight burning smell. Everything worked fine when we got there.

I am going to change most of the fluids soon, and I will be checking them to see how they look.

Regarding towing in 2H, I thought that was the whole point behind having a Neutral transfer case - so that you could tow 4 wheels down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts