Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a few hours last night and wrote a pretty comprehensive article regarding the face-lift Sorento and it's list of enhancements. I hope everyone has the chance to take a look at it and let me know your thoughts about the article either in this thread or over at Sorento Nation.

The Article

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
there is an existing topic about the 2014 Sorento http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/78948-2014-sorento-spy-shots.html

with Spy Shots

there are a few features i like about the 2014
but the looks, the design of the SUV itself is a downer for me

i like the existing look better

as well as the existing shifting, without the buttons near the stick

as i always drive with my hands on the stick, and leaning near it, those new buttons layout behind the stick on the 2014 will get accidentally activated too easily

·
Registered
Kia Sorento LX 2013 Facelift
5 Posts
As the proud owner of the new Kia Sorento http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/78948-2014-sorento-spy-shots-4.html , I can provide some insight into the features.

My LX doesn't have all the new goodies, but the manual details most of the features, so will post them here shortly.

The LED strips above the headlights look pretty cool at night, and the design is growing on me, by I still prefer the rear styling of my old 2012 Sorento.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
2014 may be the last year for the 3.5 V6, if not then 2015 will likely be the end. The Sorento will phase in the new features that the redesigned Santa Fe has, which is a choice of the 2.4 GDI or the 2.0 Turbo engines, no V6 option - the 2.0 Turbo makes very close to the same numbers as the current 3.5 V6 but has substantial efficiency gains so the 3.5 is doomed.

The long wheelbase Santa Fe is due out in a few months, and it is available with a 3.3 V6 GDI which is another alternate to the current 3.5 V6. If the Sorento were to hold on to a V6 option is would certainly be the 3.3 GDI as it has better power, torque and efficiency than the current 3.5 V6.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would make sense with all the changes that they would opt to make the drivetrain the same as it's sister car. I was just reading today that there will be no V6 option for the 2014 Sorento in Australia so we can only speculate that it will be the same throughout the globe.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
not sure what were you reading

but the new Santa Fe 2013/2014 (5 or 7 seater) only has V6 engines
see
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/2013/santa-fe/specifications.aspx
and
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/2013/santa-fe/features2.aspx

I'm actually looking forward for them to release the 7 seater version, so i can trade in my SX for a new 2013 Santa Fe next year :D

2014 may be the last year for the 3.5 V6, if not then 2015 will likely be the end. The Sorento will phase in the new features that the redesigned Santa Fe has, which is a choice of the 2.4 GDI or the 2.0 Turbo engines, no V6 option - the 2.0 Turbo makes very close to the same numbers as the current 3.5 V6 but has substantial efficiency gains so the 3.5 is doomed.

The long wheelbase Santa Fe is due out in a few months, and it is available with a 3.3 V6 GDI which is another alternate to the current 3.5 V6. If the Sorento were to hold on to a V6 option is would certainly be the 3.3 GDI as it has better power, torque and efficiency than the current 3.5 V6.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
The link to the specs you posted are for the long-wheelbase Santa Fe just like I said in my previous post - 3.3 GDI V6. The regular size "sport" Santa Fe is only available with the 2.4 GDI or 2.0 turbo.

So out of these 3 powertrains, two have not yet been offered with the Sorento, and the 3.5 is likely the odd man out. It will be interesting to see which of these 3 will be offered in the Sorento, and if the Sorento will be available as a long-wheelbase 7 pass at some point, or continue offereing the 3rd row seating in the current shorter wheelbase.

I too am looking forward to the 7-passenger Santa Fe, but would prefer the 2.0 turbo for a couple extra mpg's and only small reduction in hp and torque.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
The Sorento will indeed have the 3.3L GDI engine. I know because I've worked on a few of them at the plant in Georgia. Will this engine be offered globally? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2010 Rondo EX V6 5 passenger
223 Posts
The Sorento will indeed have the 3.3L GDI engine. I know because I've worked on a few of them at the plant in Georgia. Will this engine be offered globally? I don't think so.
Definitely in Canada and in the US and perhaps in a few more countries because some buyers especially in North America are looking for such an engine and I'm one of them! Turbos have come a long way but having owned two in the past decades, I prefer a nice smooth V6 and that's why I own a Rondo V6!

I will take the Sorento 2014 with the 3.3 GDI for a road test as soon as my dealer gets one...but I will try to wait for year end specials later in the year before signing the contract. This would be a nice way to celebrate my 60th birthday:lol:

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
Definitely in Canada and in the US and perhaps in a few more countries because some buyers especially in North America are looking for such an engine and I'm one of them! Turbos have come a long way but having owned two in the past decades, I prefer a nice smooth V6 and that's why I own a Rondo V6!
I tottally agree with you...V6 is the only way to go with an AWD 4000lbs SUV/CUV you know the old saying "Theirs no replacement for displacement" when it comes to DURABILITY & LONGIVITY, I don't care what anyone says of a 4 banger 2.0L w/turbo in a SUV out-running a V6...I'll put my money on the V6 in a 4000lbs AWD, the day they stop offering the V6 it'll be time for me to start looking around for other options! (Mfg)

For gas economy the V6 will beat the 2.0L hands down on HWY long haul driving...I know some of you will say that they prefer having better gas consumption with a 4 banger...well if you want FUEL ECONOMY don't buy an SUV/CUV buy a a sub compact like I did, I think KIA & Hyundai are going the wrong way converting to 4 bangers in their larger SUV/CUV, it's fine in the Sportage/Tucson line since your in a smaller more efficient category line of product.

that's my .02

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
You are so right. No V6 AWD, no me! The 3.3 better have even more power and torque or I start looking for another manufacturer. The V6 is a sweet engine with real power from down low to 7K rpm and gas economy as well. With DI it should have added power and fuel economy. Any one who hauls stuff knows that the turbo 4s just can't cut it with pulling over 4K lbs + of weight. Plus low tow ratings. KIA best not spite it's face on this one and trade a winner for a loser:).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
The V6 seems to be a great seller in the Sorento here in North America. I am very glad that they decided to keep a V6 option available in the Sorento for 2014. I can't wait to drive the new 3.3 GDI. As long as it has the smooth power delivery of the 3.5, I'll be happy. Not looking forward to gummed up intake's though.

I agree, the 4 cylinders belong with the Sportage/Tucson. I have yet to drive a Santa Fe Sport with the 4 Cyl turbo, But I think it was a good move for hyundai on dropping the Veracruz for two different Santa-Fe models.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
As the end of December 2012 approached, we opted to jump for a 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD while we could still find that trim without the Premium package. (We wanted more storage, not a third row.)

I loved the way this vehicle drove on our tests, and still do after the first 900 miles.

I want smooth power, tight steering and suspension, great road feedback and the fewest chances for maintanance headaches.

2014 will be the first year for the 3.3 GDI V6 in the Sorento and the 2014's are switching to electric, motor-driven steering. Both of those could be a step down from the 2013 as far as drivability, and GDI seems like a "delicate" technology that really needs shaking out before it's problem-free. (I'm not saying these will be problems, just my own concerns).

Plus, there's an sweet spot for total cost of ownership. In the immediate term, prices go down as a model year approaches the end, but they can then go up as inventory diminishes. Mid-term, the drop in price has to be balanced against the model-age-at-resale, so there are diminishing returns, even reversing in some cases. (I bought my 2008 Frontier V6 4x4 in August 2008 at the perfect moment when inventory was not yet low, the model year was near the end, and dealers were freaking out over the impact of high gas orices on new truck sales. Four-and-a-half years later, my very low-mileage Frontier is currently worth very close to my out-the-door cost when I bought it.)

As always, "your mileage may vary." We keep our vehicles for 10-12 years, put very little mileage on them, and do top-flight care and maintenance. So ... for us, getting THE right vehicle is what matters most. Thus, our decision to move on the 2013 EX since we identified only two without the Premium package in inventory of dealers in western states (we live in Oregon).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts