Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Car
- Running water (hose)
- Sponge & bucket with frequent soapy water change.
- Any wax I have at home... tried liquid, paste... Liquid is easier to apply, paste needs more elbow grease. Currently use Klasse. Tricky to apply but lasts looooong.

Dash
- Water and microfiber cloth. Do not care about shininess - the less reflective the better. I doubt you can 'extend' dash life if you apply chemical. After 8 years my black dash after daily baking is still like day 1.

Seats - leather
- Have some stuff for car leather; not really happy since stuff makes seats shiny and slippery (for a while) and I do not see they are more clean than before cleaning. Most likely will switch to damp microfiber cloth.

Tires
- Nothing. Water. Do not care if they are black or really Black. All of those chemicals will last a week max so why bother.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
For cleaning your car?

Water/Dawn dish soap

Wax?

Have used several haven't settled on one yet. Planning on trying Liquid Glass next

Dash?

Water/vinegar mix (also use on glass)

Tires / wheels?

Usually just the same as the car. I've used tire shine back when I had my show car but don't use it on my daily driver. It tends to spin off and get onto the side of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
The plastics used in the dash covering do loose elastomers in the heat and will eventually crack if they are not replaced and chemistry is NOT my specialty...
Vinegar even diluted below the 5% in the bottle still is an acid and will accelerate the above loss.

Dawn dish soap is "mild" but it has been used to clean off oils/wax (like on ducks involved in oil spills) and leaves a surface open to the elements... BAD!! You must replace that covering quickly after using something like that.

I'l leave the chemistry to the people who have the knowledge... Armor All, Meguiar's Classic, Nu Finish... BUT it's all personal when it comes down to it.
Dave

·
Registered
2013 KIA RIO5 SX
22 Posts
Dish Detergent is a NO-NO. It strips grease and wax, and will leave the paint bare. Use a car wash soap and a syn. wax like Meg. NXT or if you like a warmer look use a wax with Carnuba.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Dish Detergent is a NO-NO. It strips grease and wax, and will leave the paint bare. Use a car wash soap and a syn. wax like Meg. NXT or if you like a warmer look use a wax with Carnuba.
I agree, the Dawn will strip your wax.

I use Liquid Glass to polish/shine the paint.
Car wash soap to wash and a dry or damp cloth to wipe off the dash.
Windex or a generic glass cleaner for the windows.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5
66 Posts
Has anyone used aerospace 303 for dash.
Has pretty good reviews online.
I use the 303 for the black tires.

Turtle Wax Ice carwash, and polish.

I use a leafblower to dry the car after a wash. I love the way the water flies off the freshly waxed car !

:lol:

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
I agree, the Dawn will strip your wax.
you assume i HAVE wax on the car... lol. it is a $3 car, and gets treated as such. :p

that being said, i do like driving it. i have 12k on it, and have had it for 5 months now. i have washed it 2x so far, the white seems to show dirt very well. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
That $3 car will go 300k miles "if" you maintain it by the book...
Just as well built as a small "Honda" or "Toyota"...
Time will tell...

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX
21 Posts
For wash I use any car wash soap I have on hand, dish soap if I want to strip old wax

Wax : have been using Liquid Glass, works good

Interior : Meguire's Interior care

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
you assume i HAVE wax on the car... lol. it is a $3 car, and gets treated as such. :p

that being said, i do like driving it. i have 12k on it, and have had it for 5 months now. i have washed it 2x so far, the white seems to show dirt very well. :lol:
LOL..you got a great deal if you paid $3 for this car. Actually white will show dirt or scratches much less than darker colors. That's one of the reasons why all utility companies/fleet use white vehicles.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
I'm fully aware Dawn will strip wax and grease, that's why I use it!

Don't want grease on my car and I wax after every wash and apply several coats. I like starting with a clean slate!;)

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
That $3 car will go 300k miles "if" you maintain it by the book...
Just as well built as a small "Honda" or "Toyota"...
Time will tell...

never said i didn't maintain it. in fact, i keep on top of mechanical maintainence more then most. doing 4 oil changes since new, with 11k on it now.

i just don't wax it. it is a beater commuter, and for me to put effort in making it "pretty", that is energy that can be focused elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
never said i didn't maintain it. in fact, i keep on top of mechanical maintainence more then most. doing 4 oil changes since new, with 11k on it now.

i just don't wax it. it is a beater commuter, and for me to put effort in making it "pretty", that is energy that can be focused elsewhere. :)
It takes exactly the same amount of energy to wash your car with proper car soap as it does to wash it with soaps that will ultimately degrade the finish. It's your car and do what you please, but why would anyone WANT it to look like a beater car?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts