Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2013 LX 6-speed and ordered a K&N air filter. I'm curious if people who have installed a K&N see better gas mileage. I'm also curious what kind of motor oil people have used that has given them better mileage or overall performance. Has anyone tried the Mobil Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-20.aspx)? My first 2 tanks of gas with stock filter and oil I've averaged a little over 38 MPG with a good mixture of city/highway. I drive like a pansy though...

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
I just turned 5K miles on my Rio5. I have been getting an average of 32.8 MPG in a freezing cold Upstate NY mountain area. This is excellent gas mileage for winter driving - absolutely no complaints.

This weekend I switched to Mobil 1 oil and installed a K&N filter cartridge (standard stuff for all of my cars!). I will let you know the difference once I have about 1K miles on the new setup...

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,524 Posts
Don't carry any extra weight in the car that you don't have to. This includes mother in laws!!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You're unlikely to get a major improvement in economy by switching to a particular brand of oil. Mobil 1 is supposed to be a good oil, but you are probably already using 5W-20 of KIA's choosing, so a switch to 0W-20 isn't going to help much. Mobil themselves are cautious about predicting fuel savings, and are a bit coy about the type and grade of oil that they're using as a comparison. Note that the Mobil 1 0W-20 is at the high end of "20 Grade" when it comes to working viscosity (8.7 cSt), so it's not likely to be much different to a good 30 Grade (Typically 10 cSt).

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

One economy measure that DOES work is changing to energy efficient tyres. I've found Michelin XM1+ tyres get an extra couple of MPG over standard-issue.

Oh, and you are probably going to get a SLIGHT improvement in economy after the car is broken in.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
From what I've read, there's no strong evidence that K&N filter makes any difference to fuel economy either.

As for what I do to improve mileage......I only drive downhill.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
forget oil, and filters will give you a better throttle response if anything, which can actually make economy worse

best thing you can do to improve the economy is run the car in properly, and after that keep the engine in its sweet spot of between 2-4000rpm between shifts where the dual stage intake takes effect. I've tried driving like a grandma and i got worse economy after several tests than revving the thing out.

Our economy improved markedly after 10,000KM.. we're at 17500KM now and it pulls great figures.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i did the k&n thing and lighter oil, made no difference.

biggest thing you can do for better mileage is have a lighter right foot. wifey gets over 40mpg when she takes the rio, i get 33-35. i drive like a goon, she doesnt. simple.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Yes, I have found the K&N air filter gives me better throttle response.
I have also changed my fuel from 91 to 95 as the performance is incredibly better.
Soooo....I doubt very much I will end up getting better economy, I would definitely say...worse as my Rio is a lot more fun to drive now and so I tend to drive it like it should be driven.

Bugger better Milage.....Im having too much fun :cool: LOL

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Dont eat that sandwich??

I coming up to 40,000k in it now and doing my bit to prop up the local economy... Also the Chinese and Korean ones too...

Honestly I stopped babying it about a day or two after picking it up. Economy does improve and it gets better over time. What I have found is turning off Nanny control lets you gauge the car better and in time you figure out where the car is at its best; around the 2000-4000rpm range. Car always seems to sit in this range regardless what you are doing.

Even more testimant to these things getting better is my one is not exactly standard and I getting the same economy as everyone else. Car gets driven for fun. Ive rarely ever seen the FE hit over 7.0l/km and I always use 98 from BP in it.

Its going down the strip next weekend too. FE will be interesting on that day. May do it just for laughs to see how good the FE is down the 1/4mile

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I have also changed my fuel from 91 to 95 as the performance is incredibly better. I doubt very much I will end up getting better economy, I would definitely say... worse as my Rio is a lot more fun to drive now and so I tend to drive it like it should be driven.
I've seen a few reports on improved performance of the Rio when using 95 RON fuel, but I'd be surprised if you could describe the difference as incredible. Probably the placebo effect. A friend once descibed a similar effect after he filled up with 98 RON by mistake: "It was incredible, mate, I could hardly control it as I left the forecourt". Considering that the new fuel would not have had time to get to the engine by that stage, it was a remarkable comment. This guy is prone to hyperbole, I must admit.

It's the old story; use the fuel specified. Slight improvements in performance or fuel consumption have been reported with higher-than-spec fuel, but not enough to justify the extra cost. An exception would be the case of very poor 91 RON or alcohol blends when they are offered as "standard fuel".

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
I've seen a few reports on improved performance of the Rio when using 95 RON fuel, but I'd be surprised if you could describe the difference as incredible. Probably the placebo effect. A friend once descibed a similar effect after he filled up with 98 RON by mistake: "It was incredible, mate, I could hardly control it as I left the forecourt". Considering that the new fuel would not have had time to get to the engine by that stage, it was a remarkable comment. This guy is prone to hyperbole, I must admit.

It's the old story; use the fuel specified. Slight improvements in performance or fuel consumption have been reported with higher-than-spec fuel, but not enough to justify the extra cost. An exception would be the case of very poor 91 RON or alcohol blends when they are offered as "standard fuel".
Wow!! My sincere apologies, I will be much much more careful with my choice of words in future. To pick on one word used in a persons personal opinion is "incredibly" pedantic :mellow:
Does "noticable improvement" suit better?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
that comes across as quite an ignorant comment to be honest

go read up on my issues with pinging that were eliminated with 95RON and higher fuel, along with all the other documented improvements i've seen.

EVERY engine is different in its tolerances from manufacturing, NO two cars are the same. Engines will respond differently to different conditions, and in the case of mine (and quite a few others) it is very sensitive to crap fuel, and basically any 91RON you can throw at it.

so in my case the effects of 95RON and higher are also marked.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No Ping Zone

If you are running 87 Octane gas in you Rio and your car does not ping you can't possibly obtain better gas mileage using higher Octane gas. The CPU in the Rio uses predetermined calibration tables that set maximum ignition timing under all driving conditions. The CPU is only capable of retarding timing (when the ping accelerometer detects detonation) it is not capable of advancing timing beyond the preset calibration tables. People who say that higher Octane gas will increase timing (hence gas mileage) are dead wrong.

If, however, your car pings on 87 Octane gas you are not getting optimum gas mileage as your timing is being retarted by the CPU to try and eliminate the ping. The lowest Octane gas you can use without pinging is the most cost effective solution (IMHO)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
well said ELI 10, here's an article on the subject and noted a couple of paragraph comments:

Octane ratings: Difference Engine: Who needs premium? | The Economist

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States

As for those who earnestly believe (and quite a few do) that filling the family Toyota with premium will somehow make it go faster or deliver more miles to the gallon, all one can say is don’t bother. As one wit noted, the only thing it will make run faster is money from your pocket.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran a tank with 89 octane fuel and didn't get as good fuel economy. Probably about 1.5 mpg less on average. Not sure if it offers better performance overall. Here's an interesting bit review of the K&N Air Filter on Amazon: Amazon.com: Scott Andrews' review of K&N 33-2472 Replacement Air Filter
I don't see the point in running a high octane fuel that is far more expensive and offers little benefit.
A bit off-topic but I just realized after owning the car for over a week that I could plug a USB flash drive into the USB port and play MP3s. Is there anything else I need to know about this car? :p

Edit: Just saw this:
EVERY engine is different in its tolerances from manufacturing, NO two cars are the same. Engines will respond differently to different conditions, and in the case of mine (and quite a few others) it is very sensitive to crap fuel, and basically any 91RON you can throw at it.
Good point!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's an interesting bit review of the K&N Air Filter on Amazon: Amazon.com: Scott Andrews' review of K&N 33-2472 Replacement Air Filter
Sorry, This Scott Andrew's guy is a total BS artist. He hasn't a clue to what he is talking about.

Even though I am using a K&N Filter Cartridge and Mobil 1 Oil I realisticly only expect about a .5 MPG difference (tops). I use Mobil 1 Oil because it has served me well on over 20 cars and I am a synthetic oil freak; I like K&N air filters because they provide a tad bit better performance and are rechargeable.

52 MPG - Who does this guy think he's kidding :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi. A bit of my own experience with regular and premium gas. I've tried both and here's what it definitely does to my Rio EX 2012. Always fill up when the light goes on.
• Regular with 10% ethanol: about 20-30 less kilometers with a full tank. The L/100km (or MPG) goes down a little in the likes of (summer) 1L/100km less. But regular gas is also sometimes 10 cents less than supreme.
• Supreme with no ethanol: 20-30 more kilometers with a full tank. 1L/100km less than with regular. Engine is a tiny bit more responsive and quieter. Tiny bit I say. Supreme costs up to 10 cents more than regular sometimes.
So it's a tie: either you do more kilometers with Supreme and it can cost up to 4 $ more, either less kilometers with regular gas but the cost of driving is also less. This happens in the real world. Stock Rio with no mod whatsoever (filter, oil, etc.).

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Well, I for one never stated anywhere that I have better 'Economy' with 95 fuel. I did however state that I have better 'Performance' and this I will add is achieved with the combination of the K&N air filter and 95 fuel. I say again 'Combination' of the two.
OzSLS has stated on many occasions that he achieves better 'Performance' with 95/98 fuel.
You blokes are all very good at the scientific facts and proven results and I applaud that, I sincerely do but I totally agree with OzSLS simple but to the point statement:

"EVERY engine is different in its tolerances from manufacturing, NO two cars are the same. Engines will respond differently to different conditions, and in the case of mine (and quite a few others) it is very sensitive to crap fuel, and basically any 91RON you can throw at it."

So if some people are noticing lovely results from the fuel or oil or filters or whatever that they are using in their cars dont put them down or pick on their choice of words or say they are wrong.
At the end of the day you arent driving their car so you cannot make judgement.

Peace Everyone Peace :D

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Go read up on my issues with pinging that were eliminated with 95RON and higher fuel, along with all the other documented improvements i've seen.

There was a thread on the forum where a guy was having engine trouble with his Rio (In Malaysia, I recall), and the general consensus was that the local fuel (91 RON) was the problem. 95 RON was also his answer, but most cars will be OK on the specified fuel.

Nobody ever said that you are forced to use standard fuel; if 95 RON suits your car, go for it. I've tried various fuel mixtures with our Mazda 6 (95 RON specified) by altering the proportion of 91/98 when filling up. OK at 95, 94.5 and 94, but pings at 93. So I fill up with equal quantities of 91 and 98 (RON=94.5), which is slightly cheaper than 95 straight from the pump.

One of my cars only requires 91, but on a recent holiday (9000 km), I used 98 every now and then as an experiment. No significant improvement in economy or difference in performance, although the best economy was achieved on one section where I was using 98.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Fuel and the ECU...

Our cars are not programmed to run on one fuel only. Kia and many other manufacturers program their cars to run on different fuels by altering fuel maps when it detects what fuel is being used.

Prime example being the Mitsubishi Lancer. When people started doing ECU tuning many found all the different fuel maps that the car would use when different fuels were used. There were fuel maps for 91, 95 and 98. Once the car detects what fuel you are using it will use the programming to suit.

I stopped buying lower fuel in the Lancer as I was getting better performance using 98. Engine response was better and I could get a few extra km's out of the tank with it. A few times I did put lower fuel in it and paid for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts