Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
DBC, IMO, it is a gimmick! I find it useless,,, I'd rather have a good hand emergency brake, which they eliminated :mad: I live in the hills of PA. and have yet to find a hill that it engages on! :rolleyes: Maybe it would work on a mountain?

I once got it to work going downhill on a local road. I was going downhill with it on, and nothing happened? 1/2 way down the hill, Suddenly without warning, it engaged and the car lurched, and pushed me forward into the seat belt (like I suddenly stepped on the brake hard! Glad i wasn't drinking anything at the time!). I guess it had to decide if the hill was steep enough to engage?

Then it held me at a slow pace the rest of the way down the hill, while making an annoying grinding sound.

I'd rather work the emergency brake, so I could control when, & how much braking to apply, rather then being "suddenly surprised after it Thunk!" 1/2 way down the hill! :eek:

IMO, it should engage/disengage, as soon as you hit the button, not after it has computed if the hill is steep enough or not? That's like Russian Roulette! :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
maybe the sorento is different. I found it worked quite well in my 2011 sportage when needed around the hills of some towns where I live-also in PA ;)

my 2003 sorento didn't have it so.....

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
it works though.. its really really slow... i can hear the brakes doing there job, but had no patience.. below 20km/h

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
If you live in an area with steep hills that get snow/ice covered, or maybe have a long steep driveway that can be slippery in the winter, then you might use it occasionally. Other than that it is one of those features that looks great when buying the car, but gets used so seldom that it is forgot about.

Then it held me at a slow pace the rest of the way down the hill, while making an annoying grinding sound.
This is how it works. Using the traction control/ABS it slows you down to 5mph as quick as possible, and then maintains that speed without any brake input from the driver, allowing the driver focus on steering only instead of steering and braking. The grinding noise is normal, it is the ABS pump working the brakes.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
My driveway is on quite the downgrade and it works everytime. I can put it in reverse and it wont roll forward into my garage or sonata at all. Really cool feature.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
I was told

A friend who drives Audi's says that the Down Hill Brake control is similar to those found in Audi's. The idea is, that if you're going down a steep, Icy hill, that you will most likely slide sideways when using the standard brakes. When using the Down hill brake control on the steep Icy hill, the car will track straight down the hill.. I wish they would explain this feature better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
A friend who drives Audi's says that the Down Hill Brake control is similar to those found in Audi's. The idea is, that if you're going down a steep, Icy hill, that you will most likely slide sideways when using the standard brakes. When using the Down hill brake control on the steep Icy hill, the car will track straight down the hill.. I wish they would explain this feature better.
I think we are talking about a different feature here. I think you are talking about the Downhill assist control...the one with the button your press. I've tried that you and it works pretty good but is kind of useless.

We are talking about the Sorento engaging its rear brakes when you are on a grade going uphill or downhill and come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I think we are talking about a different feature here. I think you are talking about the Downhill assist control...the one with the button your press. I've tried that you and it works pretty good but is kind of useless.

We are talking about the Sorento engaging its rear brakes when you are on a grade going uphill or downhill and come to a complete stop.

What you mentioned is called Hill Assist Control(HAC), where the vehicle keeps the brakes applied after the brake pedal is released on steep hill, for 2 seconds or until throttle input. The HAC is always on and cannot be turned off. There is no button for the HAC.

The Downhill Brake Control(DBC) is what we at talking about, and what the OP asked about.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
IMO, the DBC should work like an emergency brake, engage, & disengage, as soon as you hit the button. It does not work that way, it will engage at random, and only if it determines the hill is steep enough. This way, it's a guessing game if, & when, it's gonna engage.

Where I live there are plenty of steep hills, and I would like to use it constantly, but do not dare! When turned on, the DBC rarely engages, because it usually computes the hills are not steep enough, but if, & when, it randomly decides to engage, it is with a sudden, unexpected jolt (specifically when going downhill).

This should be a drivers decision (if the hills are steep enough, or not?) not an electronic devices decision. So, to me this is a useless feature, I never use it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
The DBC just drops your car in a lower gear.. I had a Chrysler with that option. Modern cars have overdrive and on big hills there is no "engine torque" due to overdrive. I think you have to have your cruise control on and when the car is going faster then your cruise is set, it shifts to a lower gear and uses "engine torque" to slow it. Just like trunks do. The computer may also figure if you have your foot on the gas going down a hill up to a certain speed and then take your foot off the gas, it will try to maintain that speed going down a hill. Just watch the tach on going down steep hills. It'll just up a few hundred.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The DBC just drops your car in a lower gear.. I had a Chrysler with that option. Modern cars have overdrive and on big hills there is no "engine torque" due to overdrive. I think you have to have your cruise control on and when the car is going faster then your cruise is set, it shifts to a lower gear and uses "engine torque" to slow it. Just like trunks do. The computer may also figure if you have your foot on the gas going down a hill up to a certain speed and then take your foot off the gas, it will try to maintain that speed going down a hill. Just watch the tach on going down steep hills. It'll just up a few hundred.
We are talking about the button to the left of your steering wheel that has the little car going down a hill on it. When you press that when you are on a steep hill going downwards, it will activate the ABS system and hold you at a speed of 10MPH.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Read pages 5-35 and 5-36 of the owners manual. It describes both modes, HAC and DBC, and gives a detailed chart about how and when the DBC will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts