Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Sorento, 3.3L, 80k miles. Engine will not start.
10 codes stored, 4 related to timing. Puddle of oil in airbox, air filter saturated. Spark plugs oil fouled. Valve covers leaking oil. Metal particles in oil filter housing. Timing chain stretched, about 1/2 tooth out of time.

Thats as far as I got so far. Most likely the oil control valves and CVVT actuators are sticking, but still need to inspect.

Some people say oil changes are overrated. These pictures say otherwise.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,779 Posts
are you saying the car drove 80k miles without any oil change??
I can't believe it. In 80k miles you would have consumed all of the oil... so either the owner was a complete ignorant or an idiot.

· Registered
226 Posts
I've seen several of these. Of all the ones that we could nail down a trail of neglect, ~35K is about as long as one will last with no maintenance at all. Sadly, some peoples' measure of quality is how long their vehicle will last without taking care of it.

Do the math:
~ $7000 for new engine.
Divide into the $7K a $35 oil change. Result, 200 oil changes.
Perform an oil change every 3000 miles for the next 600,000 miles until you have spent $7000.
You will spend a tiny fraction of the cost of a new engine during the typical ownership length, with proper maintenance.

· Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you saying the car drove 80k miles without any oil change??
I can't believe it. In 80k miles you would have consumed all of the oil... so either the owner was a complete ignorant or an idiot.
I guess my thread title should have been "What can happen if you don't change your oil enough".

The last documented oil change before this was 11k prior, and no one is disputing it. This came to me from another dealer(not Kia), who took it as a tow-in trade, and nobody has actually heard it run. Right now I'm waiting to find out if they want to fix it or just want it to run, which I think all I would actually need to do is change the spark plugs and re-assemble. It will still have all the issues that let up the problem, but at least then we'll know if its worth any further repairs.

· Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
I guess my thread title should have been "What can happen if you don't change your oil enough".
Good topic. Many people aren't aware of sludging. I had a friend who was adamant that oil-changing was a scam perpetrted by oil companies.

By the way, are you aware of Spongebob Squarepants? My grandson loves that character on TV.

-Another Bob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.