Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took my 2015 Kia Sorento to the dealer today because the radio and back-up camera screen haven't been working for a while. I was told the Radio Head Unit needs to be replaced and will cost $1,400+. I asked what all it controlled, because at that cost, I might prefer to live without the radio and screen, but I was given a vague answer about it being like the brain and controlling lots more than just the radio. Can someone please tell me what else the head unit controls, so I can decide whether or not to replace it? Are there other options for fixing this that aren't as expensive?

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
580 Posts
There are a few different audio options on Sorentos so I can't correctly answer your question. But basically things control the radio,actually called the AV System or UVO if equiped, not the radio controls the things. Some radios play the door chimes , lights on, key on chimes. Some play the navigation commands. some display the climate settings, Bluetooth phone conversations are controlled by the audio system.
I'd shop around Ebay or re-cycle yards. But you have to match what you have installed. Here is an example, I absolutely do not know what you have so this is only an example of cost and what to look for.. 2014-2015 Kia Sorento Radio receiver, w/o navigation; (AM-FM-CD-MP3-satellite) | eBay

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
227 Posts
@HCornflakes what trim level is your Sorento and/or can you post a photo of your radio?

The LX/base model radio doesn't really control anything. I don't think it even has bluetooth. No back-up camera.

The EX model radio has UVO and a slightly larger color screen. This is what I have and am replacing with a Kenwood radio with a iDataLink Maestro to retain steering wheel controls, Bluetooth mic, back-up camera and also gain CANBUS diagnostics.

The SX and Limited models had the Navigation system and I think the Infinity 8-speaker (I think) setup with factory amp. This radio does have climate control integration. Unfortunately, I haven't found any "adapters" that indicate they will plug-and-play with this system if your stock radio is having issues. There are ways to upgrade the sound via aftermarket Line-Out-Put converters or DSPs, but those don't replace the radio's core functions.

If you have this system I'd suggest going on to the DIYMA or Caraudiojunkies forum and inquiring with them about what, if anything might be able to be done for replacement.

I haven't come across anyone on here who has successfully replaced the nav system radio with an aftermarket unit. It's not to say it can't be done, but I just haven't found anyone who's posted that they've done it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts