Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed a little light on the basics of our steering system?

Is is totally electric with actuators or just electric pump for hydraulics? Everyone's feeding me different stories.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
The way I understand it is that it is an electric motor that assists the steering, not a hydraulic system. That's why you have the idiot light for malfunctions and no need to check the level of fluid.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Don't like the vagueness at low speed (ie trolling parking spaces, etc.) but it seems to work well at normal driving speeds.
Doesn't answer our query, but just adding my thoughts. Don't know ho the system works, sorry.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
Not sure what system it is, but I quite like the ease of steering at low speed (useful for parking and navigating through tight parking lots). It gets comfortably stiff at normal and high speed.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
There is a variable electric motor attached to the column that provides assist. Depending on vehicle speed and wheel torque and position, it will vary the assist as needed, full power during parking lot maneuvers to almost no assist at highway speed. At highway speed it is basically the same as a manual system.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
I find that at speed there is a big dead spot and I am constantly making small corrections in the steering. I also notice that the power assist is almost like an on off switch rather than the progressive feel of the hydraulic power steering that my Focus had.

Reminds me of the force feedback on my Logitech wheel when playing rFactor.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan 2012 Acura TL Advanced, 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
26 Posts
I noticed the lag in steering also at low speeds. I added this to my list when I go in for my 5k service.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Lumina, 2013 Kia Rio, 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i, 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6
34 Posts
It's a manual steering rack with an electric motor (instead of a crank driven hydraulic system) for assistance.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Typical electric power steering vid....

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
David Scott.. THANK you, thank you, thank you. Finally, someone else has realized it too!! When I tell friends my Rio's EPS sucks and explain why, they just glaze over.

David, you call it dead-spot, and I call it 'non-neutral' steering but we are actually describing the SAME problem with the Kia EPS system/software. It results in constant micro adjustments to keep the car going straight. I realized it just 1 week after driving my Rio every day. My dealership blew me off saying its basically an UN-fixable characteristic of the car. Oh, YesFrancois!, your dealer will feed you a line of bull as well.

Let me see if I can explain non-neutral steering to other Rio owners.. on a properly assisted steering system when you make small adjustments/inputs to the steering wheel AND quickly let go, the car should make a small direction change and then continue straight (back to neutral). This makes staying in your lane rather effortless.

Not the Rio. What IT does is when you apply a small input (way too heavy for a car this small, IMHO) and let go, the car slowly continues in the requested direction. This forces you to make another input (shortly thereafter) in the OPPOSITE direction in order to get back to straight (neutral). However, now your Rio will continue in the other direction UNTIL you correct it AGAIN. It is nearly impossible to find NEUTRAL straight. These constant adjustments result in the effect of 'ping-ponging' back and forth in the lane. This makes the car irritating/tiring to drive for more than a 20min. ***REALLY, REALLY wish Kia would fix this!!

Here's a neat trick.. when sitting stopped at a traffic light, put your hand on the wheel at 6-oclock and QUICKLY move it left and right a half inch or so. You can actually FEEL the EPS stuttering on and off. LAME.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
I don't find it tiring at all after driving for 3 hours let alone 20 minutes. My old 84 Monte Carlo with manual steering got tiring because you always fought the minor road ruts on the highway.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 SX MT Red
6 Posts
Glad to hear this...I have an SX MT 5 door on its way, and after the recent rush of negative posts I was feeling a little nervous!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
I don't find it tiring at all after driving for 3 hours let alone 20 minutes. My old 84 Monte Carlo with manual steering got tiring because you always fought the minor road ruts on the highway.

I did an hour and a half drive to Lindsay and found myself constantly making corrections. Very annoying and tiring. It might be worse here in Ontario as our roads are not the greatest. The 400 series highways are rutted (except the fast lane) and rest have serious crowns.

I drive in rush hour traffic and I find that the car tends to wander a bit if the road is not dead straight. Not a good thing when lots of traffic is around.

Other than that I love my car.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
129 Posts
My steering works great, cannot complain about it at all.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Nav Silver/Black
68 Posts
When I first got the car I complained about the EPS being too light on highways.
110+k.. After I got the car back at one of my normal services the car had a light wheel in parking lots a heavy on highways.. Not sure what they have done but one of the best feeling EPS I have driven. My VW had a very unpredictable EPS.. Light or heavy and heavy or light.

·
Registered
Rio 2, Avensis
16 Posts
Due to chaotic traffic scenarios, I once spent nearly 10 hours on the road but at no time did I have any issues with the steering.

·
Registered
2013 Rio LX 6 Speed
12 Posts
I felt it wandering during acceleration above 40mph. Bought a good set of yokohama's and it drives like a different car. No more wandering. The Khumos are not the best tire for our cars. My .02

Retro

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.4 - 6 Speed Manual
107 Posts
My steering is horrible. It is way too light and I constantly have to make minor adjustments to stop it lane drifting.

I took it in to the dealer who sorted it out and for the first 2 days it was okay. On the 3rd day it became worse than it was originally.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
129 Posts
Glad to hear this...I have an SX MT 5 door on its way, and after the recent rush of negative posts I was feeling a little nervous!
Don't worry about it I now have 12000km on mine and love the EPS.0:)

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Don't people test drive before they buy? Can't believe after ownership steering becomes a problem I've had my Rio SX for 2 years & 19000 kms the steering is fine.I've taken 4 10 hour trips on rough potholed roads & the ride is a little tough on worn or broken pavement but the Electric steering is good & great @ low speed maneuvering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts