Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
12' Sportage SX, 05 BMW Z4, 92 Geo Metro Convertible, 95 Kawasaki GPZ1100, 82' Yamaha Maxim 1100
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's finally come down to it. I've had to get a lawyer, and the BBB on Kia. I've only put 6,500 miles on my Sportage SX, and the engine has eaten it's own guts. I brought it into a dealer to complain about an engine rattle with less than 1500 miles on it. Then, the very first time I hooked a trailer up to it, the truck make it about 10 miles, and completely destroyed 3 of the 4 spark plugs. Electrodes were broken off, and the porcelain was smashed. Their solution? Change the spark plugs! So, I hook my 1,100lb camper up to it friday, it makes it 5 miles... The car shook, check engine light came on, and it immediately overheated. No power, wouldn't start. I call the dealer, they came and picked it up, and saw not only were all 4 spark plugs eaten, but the remaining steel on them was BLUED! And it melted one of the pistons. Kia now doesn't want to warranty it... They say the 1,100lb trailer was over capacity for it, when it's clearly listed as having a 2,000lb towing capacity. I loved my SX, but I am totally done with Kia at this point. They obviously don't care about me, my car, and will not fess up to selling me a lemon. Be warned, they'll apparently do anything to get out of warranty work... And it wasn't the dealer who denied the warranty, it was Kia Corporate! They're going to have to deal with my lawyer now :(.

I bought a Kia, because this is how Chrysler treated my wife and I with her Sebring convertible when it had problems. How could Kia be so low to stoop to Chrysler's level?

·
Registered
557 Posts
For that to be true, you'd be wrong about the distance travelled, and the weight of the trailer. I'm no expert on towing. Maybe get your trailer weighed&documented in case it goes to court.

AFAIK, towing too much weight can overheat the engine, and will damage the transmission. I'm trying to imagine spark plugs exploding and melting, but I can't picture it.

Blued spark plugs? I thought that was a historical motor thing that concours people did.

·
Registered
12' Sportage SX, 05 BMW Z4, 92 Geo Metro Convertible, 95 Kawasaki GPZ1100, 82' Yamaha Maxim 1100
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, well, the first trailer I towed that burnt the plugs up was 1,700lbs, and had a trailer brake. It made it 10 miles before the engine wouldn't go anymore. It was a uhaul, and the weight is documented. The 2nd trailer is a Keystone Camplite 8ft pop-up camper. Dry, and unloaded when towing. Documented weight is 1,155lbs. The engine didn't overheat the first time, it leaned out and pre-detonated itself to death. The 2nd failure didn't overheat until the engine completely let go, and I was trying to get to the right lane to pull over.

That's about what the spark plugs looked like. I'm going to assume the 2nd distance was shorter, because whatever existing problem that they never fixed, got worse over the few weeks that I was driving it. Engines just don't pre-detonate themselves to death without some kind of underlying problem.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Man, you guys seem to be having some problems with cars and warranties.

Maybe there is more to the story, I don't know, but either way I hope everything gets taken care of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wondering if there is an issue between the engine in the SX models and the one in the EX/LX models? The SX is a 2.0 turbo, and the EX/LX is a 2.4 if I recall correctly. Just wondering if the weight of towing just is too great for the 2.0. (I am NOT an expert, just know too little to be dangerous :) )

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Just wondering if there is an issue between the engine in the SX models and the one in the EX/LX models? The SX is a 2.0 turbo, and the EX/LX is a 2.4 if I recall correctly. Just wondering if the weight of towing just is too great for the 2.0. (I am NOT an expert, just know too little to be dangerous :) )
I doubt it. Whether it is F/I or N/A, the engine makes the power it does. Towing would put no more load on the turbo itself. In fact most torque monsters and towing vehicles are turbos (diesels but turbo nonetheless).

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
468 Posts
I just towed 1000 or maybe a little more from Phoenix to Colorado Springs, about 750 miles and up a couple steep mountan passes in my SX, so I would be shocked it 1155 pounds was too much. His location says MI, and I doubt there are too many mountains there to have to climb. It sounds like a defective engine then incompetent dealership mechanics that is the real issue, not so much a lemon law or towing issue... That is unless there is more to the story.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Turbo or not, IMO a 2.0 engine is simply too puny to even think about powering a medium-sized SUV, particularly with a trailer. Well over 2 tonnes!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
So you say the trailer was 1700lbs dry...fine. But...how much additional weight did you have in the vehicle. The GVW is fairly low on the Sportages, 4600(?) I believe. It wouldn't be too difficult to overload the vehicle, and then you added a 1700lb trailer on the back. That sounds like too much. I highly doubt you hauled a 1700lb trailer and took nothing else with you. You should have got a bigger SUV.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Turbo or not, IMO a 2.0 engine is simply too puny to even think about powering a medium-sized SUV, particularly with a trailer. Well over 2 tonnes!
You mean despite the fact that it produces more power than V6/V8 powered SUVs that were made not that long ago (and some that are currently produced)?

It isn't like the turbo has to spin faster or anything. Granted you will burn more fuel, but that is the case with any vehicle once you start adding weight and rolling resistance (plus unsprung weight).

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
594 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but that is OLD style thinking. Look at what the Europeans (MB, BMW, VW, Audi, etc. for an example) are pumping out of their 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 turbo petrols . . . and the size/weight of the sedans/wagons/SUVs they are hauling around.

BIG doesn't mean powerful . . . anymore.:mellow:

But, back on topic . . . Hope you get everything sorted out metrogtiguy. Sure sounds like something just wasn't right from the beginning and Kia should look into the problem and assist you getting it all back on the road asap. Any new (design) car can have teething problems, and let's hope this is just one of those.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX CDN
29 Posts
Absolutely in your court, displacement means nothing, should we expect less from a smaller engine when the manufacturer tells us it will tow X ? I just went though a nasty battle with Subaru Canada ( btw NEVER expect support from Subaru Canada, they will use ANYTHING to get out of paying ) which moved me to a Sportage 2.0T. Ultimately none of these companies care about you, its the unfortunate reality of the industry, sales figure are all that matters, not post sales. Get everything in writing BEFORE you buy, and take even the smallest issue seriously. There is NO automotive company that has your customer satisfaction anywhere in their 5 year plan, I promise ! CYA...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but that is OLD style thinking. Look at what the Europeans (MB, BMW, VW, Audi, etc. for an example) are pumping out of their 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 turbo petrols . . . and the size/weight of the sedans/wagons/SUVs they are hauling around.
Yes, I do know about Turbos; 2.0 turbo in the Audi A6 does a remarkable job. Ford Australia is trying to flog a 4-cylinder turbo which also goes OK, so they say.

Even if the Sportage SX delivers the advertised 260 HP, that's still not much for serious motoring with a load.

The OP obviously had a problem with his engine. Maybe even bad fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
KIA definitely has some serious problems with the engine under a load...
I haven't experienced a "turbo" with spark plugs destroying themselves like that.
That must be some seriously HOT combustion going on to literally blow apart the center electrodes...
I was "bothered" by the dealer just replacing the plugs the first time....I wonder where the ceramic and steel parts "went" when they let go?? There had to be damage to the engine at that time...Damaged pistons/valves/cylinder walls....... and they ONLY replaced the plug(s)???
I would not have wanted that engine after the first time at the dealer...It should have not been left out of the service department without at least a tear down of the head for inspection.
I'd say the car has a problem BUT the dealer is the true LEMON.
Dave

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,519 Posts
in the US owners manual there is no mention of the Turbo for towing, it only provides capacity for the 2.4L engine.
- without brake system - 1000 lbs for both 2wd and 4wd
- with brake system - 2000 lbs for both 2wd and 4wd
- Maximum tongue weight - 200 lbs

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
With the 1700lb trailer, I was going to go pick up a few pieces of wood for my deck. I never even made it to home depot. The trailer was completely empty. The camper had food in the fridge, and some luggage, so that maybe jacked it up to 1200lbs. The brochure, website, and mobile site advertises the SX having a 2000lb towing capacity. The cylinders didn't just heat up, they were pre-detonating. That's what causes the spark plugs to blow apart. A 2.0t is far more than enough to haul a camper. The 2013 Escape has a 2.0t, and it has a 3500lb towing capacity. You can also get a 2.0t in a ford explorer. The Explorer is a BIG mutha, and a less powerful 2.0t drives it just fine. I believe my engine was faulty from the start though. It's just a bad engine, and Kia needs to own up to it. I'm sure one that doesn't have a fault in it would have no issues towing. I was just the unlucky recipient of their black sheep, lol.

I just talked to the dealer last night, and they're 100% behind me. The dealership owner is a lawyer, and just threatened to file lemon law against Kia on my behalf. He's really ticked that they would treat me like this.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck with it all, and it wouldn't hurt to publish the dealers name if he's treating you right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's Glassman Kia, in Southfield, MI. George Glassman apparently used to be a lawyer, and he's been kicking some ass for me. Just picked up my rental car today, so progress is being made. My car has apparently caught the attention of the CEO over at Kia. They just realized they never actually certified the SX for towing... The manual only specifies the 2.4L in the towing capacities, and the website and brochures advertise otherwise. They are trying to figure out what exactly happened along the development line that caused this huge gap in testing. So now they're discussing just plain buying the car back from me. My lawyer called them, George Glassman called them, the BBB called them, and now they're begging me not to sue. This is day 6 that my car has been dead. So I'll let you guys know what they come up with as a solution.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring; 2003 Jeep Wrangler
46 Posts
Good luck, it's nice to hear about a dealership being on the customers side for once.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts