Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Sorento drivers,
what´s your experience in such towing conditions:
When towing we have to use the speed of 80 km/h (or 50 mph) here in Finland. I will get (hope soon, still waiting :57: ) Sorento 2,5 Crdi with 5-speed auto box. What is your feeling, is it recommendable to use tiptronic side of the gear box and put 4th gear on as "default" on highways (not so hilly roads)? Or is the above speed enough for the power transmission to let the auto box to decide the right gear?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've only had my Sorento since November so it was rather late in the year for towing and have only towed the caravan twice. But I found that in urban/roundabouts it was great to let the auto side do the work. On the main highways I found tiptronic came into it's own holding it in 5th and using the engine grunt, then downshifting when needed for hills. This method saved the gearbox from seeking the right gear all of the time, you also have control downhill and saves the rig running away.
Even my wife took to towing like a duck to water and was happy using the above method and did not complain if I played with the tiptronic while she was at the wheel.
Rig all up I found to be very stable and was extremely pleased with the feeling of control and safety.
I'm sure you will get plenty of positive advise from the forum.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments Iann. Nice to hear the bricks&blocks should be ok also in this area with my becoming vehicle. :D
Have to be patient for 2-3 weeks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts