Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up. We've got DLC coatings on the tappet buckets. The DLC works best with PAO based oils with GMO additives with little or no moly or zinc in the oil.

Nissan people known about this for years. Only oil with the GMO is Nissan oil for $10/qt.

Of course, you can use the recommended oil in the owner's manual, but the GMO oil may cut the friction and therefore the loss of the coatings significantly.

Synthetics like M1 have moly and zn in it. Eats away the coatings.

Best oil for these GDI engines may be a synthetic with GMO additive and has no moly or zn in it. It'll be a hard search.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Synthetic oil in GDI 1.6 Engine

I have sent an email to Canadian Tire asking them who supplies their Formula 1 Synthetic oil(I believe it's Shell).I want to find out if the additives are compatible with the exotic materials & coatings in the Gamma Engine. I want to use this oil because it will deliver better fuel economy,Easier -40C starts & longer engine life due to better oilflow than conventional Dino oil. Besides it's quite cheap @ $19.99 for 5 litres when it goes on sale & I have 30 Litres in my garage:D.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
How about a glossary of the acronyms? You must have worked for the government.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts