Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento LX - 4X4 3.5L V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Kia in to have the windshield replace because it had a crack in it. I just figured there was a stone chip that I never noticed and with the change in temperatures, it cracked. This is not the news I was expecting:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not EXACTLY sure what part of the window I am looking at with it being so far zoomed in, but by the looks of it, either someone really effed up taking it out or you had something in your dashboard that REALLY wanted to get out, lol.

Does the windshield cover this spot or is it right below the window line? Is this metal or plastic?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
That looks like the bit under the plastic trim on the (US) passenger side front corner. Bugger, that would definitely spoil your day. Did it leak.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Any guesses as to how it happened?
Looks like someone may have tried to cut out the VIN/chassis number, then put the window back previously?
Some cars have the vin number there, not sure about the sorento's...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That looks like the bit under the plastic trim on the (US) passenger side front corner. Bugger, that would definitely spoil your day. Did it leak.
Yep - that's exactly it. Surprisingly no, it didn't leak. The only sign that there was an issue was the cracking. They had grind away as much of the rusted metal as they could or it would crack again in the not so distant future. As it is, I may only have another couple of years before it does it again.

September has not been a good month for the old girl. New front pads, rotors, calipers, windshield and we still have the drivers side front wheel bearing (3rd one) and the gas tank to replace. But at 260,000kms, I guess it doesn't owe me much.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Your climate is hard on cars. I was in Ottawa this time last year and although I loved the city, I was shocked at the rusted out late model cars, Over here it is not uncommon to get half a million K out of a 4x4 if you look after it. The only salt you get here is from beach driving, that's not to bad if you was your car afterwards because you are not doing it every day, unlike a winter over your way.

Did you consider getting them to weld in a new section of metal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you consider getting them to weld in a new section of metal?
Briefly. But then decided to drive it as is until next fall. At which time I will replace it with a new vehicle and turn it in to a bush buggy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts