Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '13 Rio5 is coming in a week and the salesman says "Its coming with the ISG and you'll love it!"

Didn't order it, don't want it. I drive 100% highway miles.

The required battery is an upgraded "Group 55H" with 800CCA (compared to the non-ISG 420CCA) and is $265 dealer retail. Reminds me of my old BMW.

What group size does the NORMAL Rio5 take?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not liking this.

Exerpt from a 5/7/12 article Test Driving an Automatic Start/Stop Automobile:

TYPE OF BATTERY
The Kia Rio uses a single 12 volt 70Ah (20HR) AGM ( absorbed glass mat) battery. I read somewhere that the manufacturer is a South Korean battery company. The use of a single AGM battery in Europe the last couple of years has had problems. After the first several months of use, the batteries dynamic charge acceptance capabilities are severely diminished. This means that the start/stop systems quit shutting the car off. The car companies don't want to admit this and simply charge up the customers batteries in order to make their Start/stop systems work again. But that is not a fix. The batteries will never have the charge acceptance they need, ever again. The real solution is a better battery. Several solutions are trying to win favor with the auto companies right now.
It'll be interesting what we, as consumers, will have available for a future replacement battery. Sealed lead-acid? Optima? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
My '13 Rio5 is coming in a week and the salesman says "Its coming with the ISG and you'll love it!"

Didn't order it, don't want it. I drive 100% highway miles.
I wonder if its another mix-up between ECO package and Active Eco :confused::D

What are you going to do?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll see. I like the salesman and the purchase was at invoice so no problems there.

I can wait the week and see what does arrive. ISG is probably a deal killer.

But I'll do some more research to make an informed decision. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts