Kia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage 2.4L engine
8 Posts
Oil changes were done every 3000 miles, or very close to that. We did not check in between because we never had any problems and the vehicle was still what we considered fairly new. The service tech at the dealership told us today that the oil looked great.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
Oil changes were done every 3000 miles, or very close to that. We did not check in between because we never had any problems and the vehicle was still what we considered fairly new. The service tech at the dealership told us today that the oil looked great.
Thanks for the reply! Just still trying to get a "handle" on the situation with these motors, with being well "broken in"(50-80k miles) to have a rod bearing sudden failure with no odd noises or consumption of oil before it happened. As a near lifetime auto tech, it just does not make sense to me, and I have worked with MANY an engine.
Good luck with your ride, at least our 09 2.0 spectra is doing quite well at 128,500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Just still trying to get a "handle" on the situation with these motors, with being well "broken in"(50-80k miles) to have a rod bearing sudden failure with no odd noises or consumption of oil before it happened. As a near lifetime auto tech, it just does not make sense to me, and I have worked with MANY an engine.
Good luck with your ride, at least our 09 2.0 spectra is doing quite well at 128,500.
I totally agree, and so did the service department at Kia. I'd never heard of anything of this sort, until this happened and we started looking at Kia forums and seeing that it's a consistent problem. Before this happened, we had been looking at a new Kia Sportage, thinking we would sell this one and get a newer one because we liked it so much and it was problem-free. So much for that...

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,146 Posts
.... It seems that there should be some recourse by Kia. I want to pursue this but don't know where to start...
As of this date, there is no recall on the Theta MPI engine. With no recall or warranty, about the only other action you could do would be to file a lawsuit against Kia. IMO it's highly unlikely that you could win your case, but you're obviously free to try that if you want to.

However, be advised that the book on Kia/Hyundai Theta recalls is not necessarily closed. It's been very well established that the Theta GDIs and turbos have been having significant problems, which ultimately led to the recall of 2.4 million of those engines. The automakers have released no reliable information related to the cause(s) of the failures (unless one choses to believe their 'engine debris' story). So with no information available, one of the many unanswered questions is: why would the engine failures be happening with the GDIs but not the MPIs?

Prior to this year I had seen very few reports of Theta MPI engine failures (and I do spend lots of time looking for them). However, 2018 has produced quite a few MPI engine failure reports, particularly the 2.4L. I always try to weed out any accounts which appear to be bogus, and I have to say that the great majority of these MPI engine failure stories sound credible to me.

So based on this volume of apparently reliable MPI engine failure reports, it's still POSSIBLE that these engines might be added to the recall list at some point in the future. And if that in fact does take place, the recall would also apply to engines which failed prior to the start of the recall, and owners would be entitled to reimbursement of expenses for repair/replacement of those failed engines.

I can't tell you how much 'weight' to give this possibility in your decision-making for your vehicle, because right now there's nothing to indicate that Kia/Hyundai will be forced to recall the MPIs. Also, the automakers sometimes extend 'good will' offers to owners, which reduces the cost of the engine replacement. I recommend that you ask about that, assuming that you have not already discussed that subject with Kia.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
220 Posts
Although the recall might only be for the turbo engine, the problem is in more than just those engines. How do I know you ask? Three days ago was driving across state in my '13 Sportage EX 72k miles and it just died on me. Had it towed to Kia dealership. Diagnoses...... rod bearing failure and metal shavings in the oil pan. I've changed oil every 5K miles, not the factory recommendation of 7500. I bought the car certified pre-owned with 2k miles on it from KIA in 2013. KIA warranty didn't transfer since I wasn't the original owner, which is total BS considering is was certified pre-owned from the dealership with that mileage. Luckily, and I still don't remember paying for it, I had purchased an aftermarket 10yr/120k mile warranty through the dealership. So they get to foot the $7k bill of putting a new shortblock in the car. Of course those are on backorder due to the known widespread engine defect. So I get to wait a month before the dealership even gets a motor in.
You might want to take a look at the doc's that I posted a few days ago.

https://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-2016-sportage/332282-looks-like-detonation-what.html

If I'm reading it correctly you might be covered by KIA for that motor even though you are not the original buyer.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The program that you referenced above is for specific GDI engines only, and the OP has an MPI, so it doesn't apply to his vehicle. Once all of the dots are connected, detonation MIGHT very well turn out to be a major player in all of these engine failures, but that's not happening yet.
Thanks for all the help. Our plan is to contact the Regional Kia Rep in our area and see if there's anything that can be done. That's the first step anyway. I will continue to post as things progress.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Si 2.0l 5 speed manual 2011
91 Posts
Is there any evidence of where these failing engines were built, is it a world wide event or restricted to the US domestic market.

Is it one manufacturing plant or across many, is it a materials failure or an inherent design flaw.

Speaking for my self, I have a 2 litre mpi motor with 5 speed gear box and fwd.

It’s done 136,000 km and runs perfectly, even after 5000 km the oil on the dip stick looks clean.

At eight years old, I don’t see any reason for it not to easily run another eight.

My car was built in Korea.

Does that even matter, so many questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any evidence of where these failing engines were built, is it a world wide event or restricted to the US domestic market.

Is it one manufacturing plant or across many, is it a materials failure or an inherent design flaw.

Speaking for my self, I have a 2 litre mpi motor with 5 speed gear box and fwd.

It’s done 136,000 km and runs perfectly, even after 5000 km the oil on the dip stick looks clean.

At eight years old, I don’t see any reason for it not to easily run another eight.

My car was built in Korea.

Does that even matter, so many questions.
My Kia was built in Korea but i don't know where the engine was built.

I just went online to the Kia Corporate website and filed a complaint. I was given a case number and it said a rep would respond within 48 hours. Here goes...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kia agreed to pay for the parts but I was unable to get them to pay for labor, which is about $2500. I'm grateful for the help on parts but it seems to me that if they feel responsible for the engine and other parts, they should be responsible for all of it. I'm still waiting on the engine to arrive...

·
Registered
2011 Turbo SX AWD Sportage and Lincoln LS
37 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia Sportage SX Turbo, which I have LOVED for 7 years. I've religiously changed my oil at 7,000k (Synthetic) but am now very worried about my engine.

On Saturday evening, my husband had my vehicle and was doing 45mph when the engine just cut out and stopped, and had to try to veer off to the side of the road. Our SX wouldn't start after that and we had it towed to the dealer. I spent the weekend reading horror stories about these engines seizing and now I'm thinking that may have happened to me.

I'm confused why there would be no indication of an issue - no oil warning light, no high temp warning, nothing it just shut down.

My SX has 83000 miles on it - any thoughts or experiences like this from my fellow Sportage owners?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good news is my engine was covered under warranty and I already have it back from the dealer (<2 weeks from failure to return). I am a strong supporter of KIA and so happy they honored their warranty on a known issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news is my engine was covered under warranty and I already have it back from the dealer (<2 weeks from failure to return). I am a strong supporter of KIA and so happy they honored their warranty on a known issue.
I’m happy to hear you had a good experience with Kia. We were the second owners of our Sportage so the warranty did not transfer. Our engine went out in September and we are still waiting for an engine to come in. I call the dealership every couple of weeks and the arrival time for the engine gets pushed out over and over. In the meantime I pay a car note and insurance on a vehicle I can’t use. My loyalty to Kia is wearing thin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m happy to hear you had a good experience with Kia. We were the second owners of our Sportage so the warranty did not transfer. Our engine went out in September and we are still waiting for an engine to come in. I call the dealership every couple of weeks and the arrival time for the engine gets pushed out over and over. In the meantime I pay a car note and insurance on a vehicle I can’t use. My loyalty to Kia is wearing thin.
Wow, so sorry to hear that. I will say that I have had all my maintenance done at our dealer and as expected. But, with that they were also surprised how quickly it happened. The service manager told me that they just released a car 3 weeks ago that had been there since May. I hope you get your car back soon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX 2016 Optima EX
29 Posts
Looks like there’s a few more engines that needs replacing...LOL..but not funny! My motor seized up at 83K miles. Stealership replaced it under the recall. It has been stated that “the book isn’t closed yet on the recalls” so if you’re having problems, keep pressing Kia to fix your vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I just joined the seized club. Just happened and dealer told me my car was not on the recall list so it was pretty much my problem. I have a 2013 sportage 2.4. 112,000 miles and did oil changes every 3,000 miles out of habit. I'm still making monthly payments on it and it's a dead car. I'm you going to remove the pan and inspect which bearing is the culprit and repair what's needed to get it running. I have a few mechanic buddies along with myself who will do what Kia didn't even want to help with. I'm a single dad raising 2 kids and have little funds t9 replace with a $7,000 engine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
21 - 39 of 60 Posts