Kia Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
258 Posts
Yes dash lights are on, and the starter motor turns but the engine does not crank. Ignition is working fine!
If the starter motor is on and running but the engine is not turning over, you have a bad starter drive and/or flex plate. The starter drive gear teeth are not engaging the flex plate gear teeth. If what you stated above is correct, pull starter and inspect the flex plate gear teeth. If the flex plate gear teeth are in good shape, then replace the starter. If the flex plate gear teeth are damaged then the engine must be pulled from the vehicle to replace the flex plate along with the starter.

Your voltage readings look alright but the only one your missing is what the voltage is when the key is in the start position as the engine is trying the turn over. If the starter motor is under load from trying to turn the engine, you should see a bigger voltage drop then the numbers you have shown. Being an electrical engineer, you should also not forget the importance of amperage readings, as that would would tell you if the starter motor is doing any work. Trying to turn the engine over or just sitting and spinning with out engaging the motor flex plate would make for a big difference in starter motor amperage readings.

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If the starter motor is on and running but the engine is not turning over, you have a bad starter drive and/or flex plate. The starter drive gear teeth are not engaging the flex plate gear teeth. If what you stated above is correct, pull starter and inspect the flex plate gear teeth. If the flex plate gear teeth are in good shape, then replace the starter. If the flex plate gear teeth are damaged then the engine must be pulled from the vehicle to replace the flex plate along with the starter.

Your voltage readings look alright but the only one your missing is what the voltage is when the key is in the start position as the engine is trying the turn over. If the starter motor is under load from trying to turn the engine, you should see a bigger voltage drop then the numbers you have shown. Being an electrical engineer, you should also not forget the importance of amperage readings, as that would would tell you if the starter motor is doing any work. Trying to turn the engine over or just sitting and spinning with out engaging the motor flex plate would make for a big difference in starter motor amperage readings.
Thanks!
Yes, I have not shown the voltage at starting transient state. I have also not had a way to measure the current draw from the starter. That would require a current clamp and a more advanced measuring device than a simple multimeter.
The issue is that the engine sometimes starts, and sometimes does not. Would this be a symptom from a bad starter drive and/or flex plat?

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The auto garage diagnosed it as a faulty starter and gave a quote of $509 for the repair including parts and tax. I will update the forum when I get it from them. Hopefully, it was the correct diagnosis. The cost for the same at the local dealership was +$650

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Kia Sorento 2013 which started showing abnormal starting. I changed the battery and here is what I am facing.
When I start it for the first time it starts but need to keep the crank on the key a tad bit longer. Then I stop the car and try starting and the car does not start. To get it started I need to use my booster. The car drives fine without any issue that I can feel. This starting issue replicates exactly every time. Any of you have an idea of what is going on? Any pointers on how I could diagnose the issue?
Poor ground(s), bad starter, bad solenoid, bad battery, bad ignition switch?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima EX
13 Posts
It's a fuel or spark issue ! may be a sensor. Do you use top tri gas with an additive???? may be carbon built-up back of valves if you don't.
1. first test when it will not start spray starter fuel in intake see if it will start if it does then a fuel problem.
2. if not fuel try this. pull one spark plug ground it on the engine then crank it to check for spark.

·
Registered
'12 Sorento '99 Acura 3.0CL '16 VW GTI
7 Posts
So, did the starter fix it???? As a retired ASE Master Tech, this should have been diagnosed by the first competent shop who got the car in. It is not that complicated. (IMHO) So, is it fixed?

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
258 Posts
Thanks!
Yes, I have not shown the voltage at starting transient state. I have also not had a way to measure the current draw from the starter. That would require a current clamp and a more advanced measuring device than a simple multimeter.
The issue is that the engine sometimes starts, and sometimes does not. Would this be a symptom from a bad starter drive and/or flex plat?
Hi hasalaid, I am glade to hear you have it fixed. The measurements that you provided are very helpful, and more than most here would provide for information, you just missed that amp draw reading. That would have been the proof that the starter was doing nothing to turn the engine over. You do have to have the proper tools to troubleshoot and diagnosis issues, which can take more time then the actual repair.
Starters doing what yours did are common now; Toyota 1.8L and 2.4L do this same thing. The starter drive will stick and not engage the flex plate. This is caused by changes with the temperature of the starter. Some starter drives will stick when cold as they wear, and other starter drivers will stick when the starter is warm. It can go either way. Since most garages do not repair starters, they just replace them with a rebuilt starter.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts