Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia Sorento 2013 which started showing abnormal starting. I changed the battery and here is what I am facing.
When I start it for the first time it starts but need to keep the crank on the key a tad bit longer. Then I stop the car and try starting and the car does not start. To get it started I need to use my booster. The car drives fine without any issue that I can feel. This starting issue replicates exactly every time. Any of you have an idea of what is going on? Any pointers on how I could diagnose the issue?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
Start by cleaning the battery posts and terminals, then the + terminal to the starter and main fuse box, and the Neg terminal to chassis and engine.

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by cleaning the battery posts and terminals, then the + terminal to the starter and main fuse box, and the Neg terminal to chassis and engine.
I did both when I put in the new battery. The car starts just one time without a boost, so would that not mean electrical setup is working fine?

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is all I tried. I am open to any ideas though!!! I plan to take battery voltage readings and record them, as well as record the issue across the next several days! many thanks for your advice and help in advance!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
839 Posts
Why did you change the battery? How old was the previous battery?

Did this behavior start with the new battery? The behavior did not happen with the previous battery?

Are you sure the replacement battery is the same or equivalent replacement as the previous battery? What kind of battery? What are the specifications of the new battery?

On the 2nd attempt to start the engine, does it crank at all or nothing? Any clicking when you turn the key? Do the dash lights come on?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
check the grounding wire. There have been many similar reports, such as yours. The culprit was the ground wire to the negative battery terminal.
The OP is a man of few words, but did say he's checked that.

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,
I checked the battery, starter, and alternator with O'Reilly (and Autozone and Advance :) ). The guy at O'Reilly said it could be an issue with the starter solenoid. I also took a log of the battery voltages as well as the issue.
Here is my more targetted problem statement,
When I crank the key the starter motor turns smoothly but the engine does not catch on. Out of 6-7 times key cranks, the engine catches about once.
It resonates with my past experience in starting a motorbike manually (kick start) and the motorbike not starting. Used to mess with the fuel screw to get the bike started. Could this be a fuel system issue? What could cause the engine to not start when the starter does its work?
I am an electrical engineer and you can trust me with my basic electrical knowledge. The log is below
  • Car at home 14.27v
  • Disconnected from battery car live 14.27 V
  • Battery only 13.3 V
  • As soon as Engine off battery only 13.12v car key off
  • Car key on 12.88v
  • Car key off 12.93v
  • Car key on 12.83v
  • Car tried to start does not
  • Now voltage with key on is 12.76 V
  • Voltage with key off is 12.84 v
  • Car does not start now
  • Nest morning car did not start with 5 key cranks but started on the 5th

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
254 Posts
When the engine does not start are all the lights on in the dash, meaning that the ignition is actually turned on?

I believe that you have factory immobilizer. Is there something on the dash lighting up extra when it does not start, like a flashing key indicating an immobilizer issue.

Have you tried different ignition key?

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes you are right! if I crank 5 times (starter turns but engine does not start) it could start the engine once. It works capriciously. There has been times when I had to crank 10-15 times to get it started waiting 30 minutes. The issue came up about 5 days ago and I had done nothing to the car before it happened. After it happened I have changed the battery. But I have no understanding of the fuel system and I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
839 Posts
Could be fuel related. Could also be a sensor that is faulty so the computer does not know whether or not the car has started, such as the crank position sensor. More diagnosis needs to be done.

Something else you could do is see if there are any codes stored. You can do that with an OBD2 reader or take it to one of the local car parts stores that read the codes for free. I think AutoZone, advance auto, napa, O'Reilly's and pep boys...maybe call and ask.

·
Registered
USA 2013 Sorento V4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have a OBD2 at home. There is no check engine light for any other error in the dashboard. Does this mean it could still have an error coming from OBD2?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
839 Posts
Yes, it can still have an OBD code even though the check engine light is not lit. This happened to me one time on my Sorento. It also happened to my brother on his Dodge Grand Caravan. Also, I believe there are different type of code storage. When I use Torque with my OBD dongle, it has 3 ways to read codes: normal, pending, archived.

Just go ahead and scan it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts