Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short, I was tackling a pretty big hill that a friend lives on, so I decided, hmm, why not give the engine a break and pop into 2nd gear.. then that made me wanna pop into Low.
By the time I popped into low, hill was over, so I went back into Drive.

However, now when I accelerate, I can hear a very loud sound.
I have a feeling the Low activated the fan to engage with the engine- the higher the RPM, the louder the fan.

I've even watched the temp needle go down (when accelerating a downhill)!
Definitely better than watching it go all the way up and then boom..

Anywho, even after in Drive, I can hear the loud fan sync'd with the engine RPM.
In addition, I hear a loud squealing/squelch sound after 2500RPMs.
And if I floor it right away, it'll sound.
It's pretty bad to the point that I don't floor it anymore (totally relearning driving now.. :p)

Any idea?
I suppose this is a good thing to keep the engine cool...but, kind of annoying..and loud.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
If it's jammed then you should not be able to spin the fan by hand when the engine is off and cool.

Supposedly a working fan clutch will spin by hand when the engine is cool and not spin by hand when the engine is warmed up. But I could still move mine by hand when warm or cool. I also know it still functions properly because the engine does not overheat or get any warmer than normal.

Hopefully someone else will know a better test.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran home to check, car was moved earlier at around 7AM, it is not 1PM.

Immediately checked fan blade, it felt stuck.
Put a little more force, still stuck, a little more and it budged.
Now, I can move it with force, however it will not do a full spin with a push..if that makes sense.
Definitely sounds like clutch is stuck.

Fix?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Ran home to check, car was moved earlier at around 7AM, it is not 1PM.

Immediately checked fan blade, it felt stuck.
Put a little more force, still stuck, a little more and it budged.
Now, I can move it with force, however it will not do a full spin with a push..if that makes sense.
Definitely sounds like clutch is stuck.

Fix?
It sounds like a bad fan clutch, but since I've never experianced one myself you may want to wait for a 2nd opinion.

If it is a bad fan clutch, fix options are replace or do an electric fan conversion. There is a thread here somewhere that has the conversion process. I plan on doing the conversion when my fan clutch craps out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's any help, if I shift into Neutral and rev up to 3000RPMs, I don't hear the squeal.
If during driving, I ever get past 3000RPM, it'll squeal..bad.

So during my commute today, I stayed under 3000RPM and stayed in the slow lanes.. It felt weird!

Any downsides of driving with a bad fan clutch until I can take it in/get more opinions?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
If it's any help, if I shift into Neutral and rev up to 3000RPMs, I don't hear the squeal.
If during driving, I ever get past 3000RPM, it'll squeal..bad.

So during my commute today, I stayed under 3000RPM and stayed in the slow lanes.. It felt weird!

Any downsides of driving with a bad fan clutch until I can take it in/get more opinions?
Only downside is that it will draw about 5hp and use some extra fuel,,,,, Philip

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just the same on my Kia. Stuck fan clutch. I've been driving with it since february and it's no problem. But you get less mpg and a slower car. especially when driving uphill. I also have the same squeling sound when driving over 3000 rpm I think it's the fan belt struggeling more since the clutch is stuck.

I'm also planning to convert it to electric, when i can find time for it :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's weird, really.
Seems like the fan clutch has a mind of it's own.
There have been many times throughout my commute where the fan clutch let's go and everything is all normal again.. and then it locks up mid-drive.

Today, actually, it was quiet all day.
Weird..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts