Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2k kia sephia with over a 110k miles on the motor. **** thing runs great the only problem i've been experiencing lately is a over heating issue. 1st noticed it while traveling over the mountains to L.A from Fresno car started to run hot going up hill at about 3k rpm then would cool off at lower rpm and going down hill, but would not heat up while driving on flat road. i replaced the t-stat, flushed the rad, and changed the rad fluid. that worked for about a month or so then i noticed that the problem returned while i was going over the mountains to L.A again. so this time i turned on the a/c to utilizing the a/c fan and it cooled off but now it's overheating even on flat road every once and a while. im going to check t-stat again and run some "HEAT" if it presist. i was wondering if anyone may know something i dont know? i dont think the head is cracked cuz the oil is clean and by now i would imagine that the motor would be [email protected]#$%^.

thank's for any help. i'm glad this sight is out there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey where in central valley are you? Gotta love Cali.
as the other poster said, do you loose coolant? How does the coolant color look? If you have a bad head it could either mess up your oil (look under the oil cap for some foam) or you coolant, so with the engine cold take the radiator cap off (remember engine cold or otherwise you will be on the burn forum!) and see how the coolant works. Next step when engine warm see that your upper radiator hose is warm, that will show that the stat has opened. Now your fan should come on. Do you have any performance problem with the engine when overheats? Because the last thing could be a bad sending unit, but seems like you have reproduce the problem on hills so something is not working. Leaks could be small, but they will eventually get larger, but you don't want to be on the road to Bakersfield when that happens :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by "UTBuck"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("UTBuck")</div><div class='quotemain'>are you loosing any fluid? also, check your hoses, may have a week one and its sucking close.[/b]

nope not loosing any coolant. i will have to check the hoses cuz there the only thing in the cooling system that has been changed.

<!--QuoteBegin-"97molavi"

Hey where in central valley are you? Gotta love Cali.
as the other poster said, do you loose coolant? How does the coolant color look? If you have a bad head it could either mess up your oil (look under the oil cap for some foam) or you coolant, so with the engine cold take the radiator cap off (remember engine cold or otherwise you will be on the burn forum!) and see how the coolant works. Next step when engine warm see that your upper radiator hose is warm, that will show that the stat has opened. Now your fan should come on. Do you have any performance problem with the engine when overheats? Because the last thing could be a bad sending unit, but seems like you have reproduce the problem on hills so something is not working. Leaks could be small, but they will eventually get larger, but you don't want to be on the road to Bakersfield when that happens
[/quote]

im just south of Fresno in Lemoore. nope i dont loose coolant and the collant is'nt more than 5 months old. the oil is clean i run Mobil1 synthetic and change it out every 6k-7k miles. when temp gauge goes hot i dont notice any pwr lose. i will check the hoses to see if the t-stat is opening properly and i will check and more than likely replace the hoses.

questions
1. the second fan only comes on when the a/c is turned on?
2. is it suppose to kick on when the car overheats?
3. does that second fan work off a thermal switch as well? im thinking if it suppose to come on when car get's hotter than normal it should work off a thermal switch. if that's the case then i believe that would be my problem.
4. if there is sucha switch for the second fan were would it be?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have heard that area is beautiful, will visit someday.

I am not sure about the 2nd fan. My understanding has been that it only comes on when you turn the AC on, though it might be different from car to car. Alldata.com is a good wbesite if you can't find a repair manual. You have to pay but ask your public library, some have free membership. I hope someone else will answer on the 2nd fan, mine is a 97 anyways-different engine. I am more inclined to think it is the sending sensor now esp if the stat is fine and no coolant loss over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope not beuatiful where im at. the Seirra Mountains are beautiful though there just east of where im at. i go up there alot in my bronco but im in the arm pit of cali there's nothing but farm land where im at.

the last time i checked the t-stat it was stuck so i replaced it im going to check it again if it opens and closes then im going to replace hoses just becuz there the original hoses and then im going to run some HEAT to try to lower the temp. if that does'nt wor im not going to worry about it cuz it' probably the sending unit. thank's

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would have the sending unit checked or changed. Don't want to risk the engine on that guess, too much headache afterwards, trust me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay first i went to the auto parts store and the "heat" i've been talking about is not heat it's "HEET" and i thought they made a radiator coolant additive but i could'nt find it they might not though. anyway i just wanted to clear that up. i ended up buyong some water wet'er same thing i was looking for just a different brand. i put a 1/2 bottle in cuz the rad was already full it helped a little. on the way to L.A. i picked up a t-stat for the trip just incase it got to the point where i had to do some on the road repair. kia made it with the help of the a/c fan and i changed the t-stat this morning the new one is a 180* and the one that came out was a 195. im thinking the 195* is wrong (**** autozone) can someone correct me if so. kia ran 100% better going home i think i might have found the problem..

·
Registered
24 Posts
its possible the old stat just wasnt opening up or all the way. if you still have it, drop in a pan of water on the stove and heat it up. you will be able to see if it opens all the way or not.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
8 Posts
Same thing happened to me...EXACTLY.....Water pump bearings.....Take a stick or metal rod...Something straight and solid..Start car....Place one end on the water pump(preferably a non-moving surface)then put your ear to the opposite end..If it sounds like a bad metal to metal grinding sound then your bearings are probably going bad. A good test for comparison is listen to other engine components this same way. They should sound smooth. If you have to replace the water pump you might as well have a timing belt put on to...They are right there at it...Saves some labor costs down the road....

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
the thermostat is 185 degrees. how bout a blown headgasket?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts