Kia Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,459 Posts
On re reading the thread here, and don't "sluff it off" as I've seen the whole "gambit" with a number of odd things on many cars in my career.
You did not post of pulling and checking the spark plugs. I'd suggest you do. I had a problem with our recently bough 3.5 motor Pontiac and found good electrodes ...BUT cracked main body porcelains on 2 adjoining cylinders. From what I've read here that the rio's call for plug change around 60k miles anyway and you did not post miles on the car.
This is also a timing belt motor, it's possible that it was replaced before you got it and was off a tooth on aligning marks. With VVT it's easy to have happen and VVT can to a degree "cover" up this, but can also show problems possibly like you post of. Also this would affect crank sensor readings at times of computer (cel) flashings. As I posted before about the crank sensor..many times will NOT set a code for it. Check timing belt pulley marks for proper alignment.
Last one is from your posting of some readings "spiking". I've heard of alternator output power spiking in the ECM and "upsetting" engine sensor readings. I suggest you check voltage output of the system looking for power spikes from the alternator. ...This last one is a bit of a "stretch" for a possible cause, but worth checking.
Just because it is a cheap, low end car does NOT mean the diagnostics don't have importance to keep things running correctly.....Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio4 dr Sedan LX Manual Transmisson
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
On re reading the thread here, and don't "sluff it off" as I've seen the whole "gambit" with a number of odd things on many cars in my career.
You did not post of pulling and checking the spark plugs. I'd suggest you do. I had a problem with our recently bough 3.5 motor Pontiac and found good electrodes ...BUT cracked main body porcelains on 2 adjoining cylinders. From what I've read here that the rio's call for plug change around 60k miles anyway and you did not post miles on the car.
This is also a timing belt motor, it's possible that it was replaced before you got it and was off a tooth on aligning marks. With VVT it's easy to have happen and VVT can to a degree "cover" up this, but can also show problems possibly like you post of. Also this would affect crank sensor readings at times of computer (cel) flashings. As I posted before about the crank sensor..many times will NOT set a code for it. Check timing belt pulley marks for proper alignment.
Last one is from your posting of some readings "spiking". I've heard of alternator output power spiking in the ECM and "upsetting" engine sensor readings. I suggest you check voltage output of the system looking for power spikes from the alternator. ...This last one is a bit of a "stretch" for a possible cause, but worth checking.
Just because it is a cheap, low end car does NOT mean the diagnostics don't have importance to keep things running correctly.....Good Luck! ;)

Thanks man I pulled the original plugs in it and they looked fine but I still replaced with a new set. The ones in it are new now. Coils looked new also like literally no dirt on them but I figured just in case I replaced them also. Mileage is 129k sorry if I forgot that one. I'll have to check tooth alignment for timing belt and see to make sure someone didn't F it up. Issue literally in my opinion only happens as the PCM is monitoring 02 sensor values. Literally as I am letting off the throttle in the IM testing procedure it happens. I'll keep at it I guess. It's just im not a mechanic but find myself fixing every damn car I own and the projects never end :/

21 - 22 of 22 Posts