Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The emergency brake on my Sportage has a rather interesting problem. If the car sits for awhile and isn't warmed up( essentially it hasn't been driven for a couple hours) then the emergency brake will work. However, when the car has been driven for a while and you attempt to use the emergency brake it does not work properly. The peddle clicks down like it should but the emergency brake itself is not working. If the car were put in neutral it would role right out of my driveway. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Maybe the emergency brake needs to be tightened.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It COULD be adjusted too tight, and staying engaged while you drive. After it has heated up from rubbing while driving, it might be faded to the point it doesn't work. Especially if it works fine when it hasn't been driven. That's MY theory. It's really something you might want the dealer to take care of.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to add to my original post. The emergency was serviced when the car was about 15 miles old. It did not work when I received the car. Just wasn't one thing I even remotely thought of testing. The dealer said "we tightened it the best we could" and my response to that was essentially wtf do you mean. However it did work properly after that until just recently it starting having this issue that is stated above. It was taken back to a kia dealer and their tech of course tested it after it sat awhile at the dealer and said it was fine. I asked him if the car had been heated up before he tested it and said that could not possibly have an effect on it and didt want to hear anything about it. So other than continuing to annoy them I'm kind of stuck.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage 2.0 FWD Auto
12 Posts
When you say emergency brake, are you referring to the "handbrake" you use whilst parked, or is this different?

My Sportage (auto) only has the handbrake and normal brake pedal used when driving. That said I also have a problem with the handbrake which does not immediately engage irrespective of how tight is has been pulled once parked. Only after a slight roll (if I am parked on a gradient) does it fully engage. The dealers (took it to different workshops) have had a look at it and assured me it was set tight enough.

Sounds like a safety issue anyway if it keeps moving, and as such your dealer is under obligation to identify the issue and fix it. If they don't want to listen to your concerns, maybe try a different dealer?

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
In the old days it was called an emergency brake. After numerous product liability lawsuits filed by attorneys representing car owners who crashed after they thought that all they had to do was pull on the brake in case of an emergency the auto industry renamed it the parking brake and explained that it was to be applied after the vehicle was in a stationary position. A hand operated parking brake CAN used in an emergency if you know what you're doing---mainly keeping the brake release button depressed as you "gently" pull and release the handle to gradually slow the vehicle to a stop. Attempt to downshift at the same time. I had to do it years ago when my Ford's single master cylinder failed abruptly. I don't think it's possible to slowly brake with a foot operated brake but maybe someone has other thoughts.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes, it's a parking brake and not designed to stop the moving car, esp. with the ratcheting lock. It's purpose is to prevent the car from rolling if the parking pawl in the transmission breaks and to prevent putting pressure on the pawl in the first place by engaging the brake before putting the selector into 'Park'. On a manual trans car, the car could roll if the shifter were bumped out of gear or the car was on a steep slope, without the parking brake being applied. I've never encountered this kind of problem with one but you need to find out if the problem stems from the need for taking up slack in the cable (adjustment) or from worn brake parts or some other cause. If it were over-adjusted and heating up the rear brakes, you would definitely smell that when getting out of the car, plus it's possible it would start a fire.
My best guess is that it just needs another adjustment. Approaching 20,000 miles in mine, the brake is pretty much to the floor now and I think I'll get them to adjust it at the next oil change.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage 2.0 FWD Auto
12 Posts
Seeing that we are on the same page now, since it is the emergency/parking/handbrake we are referring to, care needs to be taken if the cause of the problem is that it doesn't release completely. Initially it may only affect the parking brake, but since you essentially lose grip on your rear brakes, more strain is put on the front when you use the brakes until they also give in. Should this happen at high speeds, you're in trouble.
I had this experience recently with a different vehicle: as the brake lever or pedal is not engaged, there is no warning light or tone to alert you that the brakes are not released. At some point you lose the rear brakes and then eventually the front's. Helluva scary situation to be in....

I still suggest get your dealer to replicate this fault as it is described and then to fix it ASAP.

·
Registered
993 Posts
There is an indicator light for a parking brake not fully released, but if its over-adjusted and still engaging when the lever is in the correct position to turn the alarm off, it very well could drag. But again, when the rear brakes get hot, you should know it.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
hand brake adjust

its a free hand brake adjust for the first year if it clicks more than three times . I took mine in at 11 months as it clicked 4 times and would roll away . the next day when I drove to work I was waved down on the road . my rear wheels were not turning [I was on snow] . any way I gave the brake a good tug and it freed up the wheels . hopefully I wont ever need an adjustment again as they told me it was a three hour job

·
Registered
2013 Blk SX AWD Auto
5 Posts
I don’t know that much about the Sportage brake system but on many vehicles the parking brake cable is adjusted for pad wear when the car rolls in reverse. If you don’t drive in reverse very often the parking brake cable can get loose to the point it won’t hold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts