Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the long story, but this is just weird and I need some help.

Yesterday, I returned to my 3924 EX V6 after work and it would not start. The button had no impact whatsoever - not even the acc setting worked. I tried several times with my foot firmly on the brake. I then tried locking the car using the key fob and nothing worked. I inserted the fob in the central console slot, where the green light was flashing, and was able to start the car.

However, the radio display and clock display were non functional (blank) and the trip odo had reset to 0. I drove a few miles and then parked and restarted the car. This time it started without the fob in the console. However, the radio took a few minutes to boot up, the back-up camera did not work, the clock read 1:00, and the trip ODO had reset itself to 0 (again).

about 30 minutes later on restart it was the same situation. I restarted about 90 minutes later, and everything was normal.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they could not recreate the events, and there were no codes stored. They rebooted the system but nothing was showing. Of course, theyve never seen anything like this.

I will keep an eye on this, but has anyone seen anything like this, and/or have any idea what in the world happened??? I hope that this is only a one time thing, that will not appear again - The car is only 3 months old!:eek:

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Did you check the battery connections? Some of the symptoms sound like the situation when you disconnect/reconnect the battery, particularly ODO reset.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Please update your signature to show what vehicle you have. Your post states a 3924 EX V6...don't know what you mean.

Also, you say that there is a green light flashing where you insert the fob in the central console slot...please explain in more detail. Doesn't sound familiar or right.

It does sound like a power issue. Maybe a bad battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. 3924 should say 2013. The sorento is only 3 months old.

I initially thought that it was a battery problem too, but why wouldnt the clock and radio come on once it started? The dealer checked over the battery and connections and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Chris

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
584 Posts
A kinda similar-thing happened to me about two weeks ago.
I'm not sure if my foot was all the way into the brake pedal when I pushed the start button, but it just cranked and continued cranking without starting the engine. The Oil indicator had turned on by the way.

I just hit the start button again to stop the cranking engine. I let 15 seconds passed then turned the engine over again. This this it started like nothing happened.

Haven't experienced it again though.

·
Registered
2012 Dark Cherry Sorento SX-V6 FWD
85 Posts
I'm not sure if my foot was all the way into the brake pedal when I pushed the start button, but it just cranked and continued cranking without starting the engine. The Oil indicator had turned on by the way.

I just hit the start button again to stop the cranking engine. I let 15 seconds passed then turned the engine over again. This this it started like nothing happened.

Had the exact same thing happen to me twice in my 2012 SX, about a year apart. Not quite sure how to reproduce it but it started like a champ just like yours did the second go around both times.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts

Did you happen to notice the a solid chime inside and outside the vehicle while this was happening? (The same sound when you walk away with the key on your while the vehicle is running)

This has happened to me numerous times, all at random.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts