Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ceed 1.6 diesel and have been doing a few jobs outside now the nice weather is here. I have been carrying rubbish to the local tip and buying bags of sand from builders merchant to do jobs in the garden. I am not sure what the maximum load is for the boot area. Presumably, if you can fit three adults across the back seat and their weight is say 80kg each the maximum weight would be around 3(80)kg which comes to 240kg. However, could the same weight be carried in the boot remembering the centre of gravity will have moved back towards the boot thus putting a lot more strain on the suspension etc. Would be interested to know what the total safe weight might be.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Would be interested to know what the total safe weight might be.
The spec sheet list minimum weight as 1367kg, maximum weight as 1469kg and gross weight as 1820kg.

I guess the difference between max & min includes fuel, oil & water though there must be something else to make up the 100kg difference.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
With a big load at the back, I'd be more worried about the balance of the car than any concern about the suspension. 240 Kg shouldn't be a problem; you'd be lucky to get more than that in the boot anyway. Just take it slowly.

I've "moved house" using a small hatch-back and I think there was about 240Kg plus the driver (100kg) on board. Most of the load was across the (folded) rear seats and some heavy stuff was lashed to the passenger seat/footwell area. Balance was fine.

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a big load at the back, I'd be more worried about the balance of the car than any concern about the suspension. 240 Kg shouldn't be a problem; you'd be lucky to get more than that in the boot anyway. Just take it slowly.

I've "moved house" using a small hatch-back and I think there was about 240Kg plus the driver (100kg) on board. Most of the load was across the (folded) rear seats and some heavy stuff was lashed to the passenger seat/footwell area. Balance was fine.
Did it with a Mini once. Loaded bricks across all floor areas and boot. Couldn't get the doors open when I got home. Had to get help to get out :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts