Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting issue here. I have an 99 sportage that has been very used. The issue is, the power windows are very very weak. Driver side front works best (goes up on its own), the passenger side is next but does not go up with out help. The rear windows are both very weak and barely go down, much less up without help.

Based on the fact that they do work to some degree, I assume fuses and relays are good. I also checked battery and alternator, both good. Is it the individual electronic motors going out? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
I would try lubing the tracks the windows run in first; it is a '99 and they are probably dry and draging. After that if it helps some but not a lot I would try removing the door panels and lube the mechanism that moves the windows up and down. The lube in there is probably dried out or missing. After trying the lube then I would check out the motors, do the least and easiest first then move on to harder and more expensive.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Clean the fuses first , they maybe getting a bad connection. Then i would replace the relay. Cleaning and greasing and oiling the motors with 3 in 1 oil only is a great idea too.

Behind the dash , between the Instrument panel and radio, kinda hard to get too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Any chance I can get a photo like that for my under the hood relay box? The last guy either lost or broke the cover and replaced it with a different vehicles. Which means I do not know what relays are what under there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, I took the whole assembly out, track and motor, and could not find a way to open the gears driven by the motor to clean and grease them. I began opening one side and found a wound ribbon spring that I was afraid to open lest it spring out and I couldn't get it back in. I assume this spring assits the motor in getting the window up? Do I need to get behind the spring to grease the gears? Not sure if any body has done this job, but if you have let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
988 Posts
I think it is an electrical issue. My Sportage has got the same problem, although the passenger window was slow and now it has stopped to work at all; but if I connect its window motor directly to a 12 volt current it works and it works fast. I think it could be caused by the same issue reported here.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Here is the 1999 diagram, but the window relay is behind the dash, between the instrument panel ( speedo and gauges ) and the radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts