Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DONE. FORGET ABOUT THIS POST. Waxing for 1st time

Hi again, I posted one month ago about waxing my new Rio. I had some answers and I wish to do the job this week but do you know about that? I read somewhere -and don't remember if the salesman said so- not to wax your car before at least one month to allow the fumes of all metals, glues and sealants to evaporate. Could it be true? Second, I narrowed my choice of wax on these two: Turtle High Gloss car wax Hard Shell Finish (liquid) or Meguiar's Gold Class (liquid) which is much more expensive. I have an orbital polisher. Sounds good?:cool:
Thanks in advance. Racineur.:auto:

· Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
You received various opinions on waxing last time. If you are going to do it, don't even think about using an orbital polisher; it will leave marks.

I'm satisfied with a monthly wash. Never waxed, rarely polished.

· Registered
2012 Rio5 EX UVO 6MT
17 Posts
Go ahead and wax it whenever you want. The paint is fully cured from the factory. If you don't want to apply the wax by hand, a random orbital polisher, like a Porter Cable 7424XP, will work if you have a pad intended for this purpose. Personally, I prefer applying by hand unless working on a large vehicle. Either way, make sure you have nice soft buffing cloths to remove the wax by hand. Bonne chance!

· Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
not to wax your car before at least one month to allow the fumes of all metals, glues and sealants to evaporate. Could it be true?
If this where true and I'm not saying it is but if so, one month from when? The build date on my Rio is 12/11. I purchased it on 3/3/12 and waxed it one week later. I'm sure any fumes ect disapated on the long boat ride over from Korea;)

· Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
You've probably waxed it already. The best polish I've used on any vehicle is liquid glass Amazon.com: Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.: Automotive! This is the best shine I've experienced from any product. You can also use it on your windows. It works as good or better than RainX.

I just used it on my black RIO sedan today. My brother and a good friend were there before and after. They couldn't believe how much of a difference this stuff makes. It will literally make your paint look wet! The more coats you apply the wetter and deeper the shine.

I owned a detail shop years ago. I've used just about everything out there at one time or another. It doesn't get any better than this stuff!

· Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love to try this wonder

:eek:Hi, yes I did wax the car with plain old Turtle. Happy as usual but not overwhelmed...as usual. I'd like to try this wonder but it's the "baking time" that I don't understand. Please tell me more. My Rio is Tanzanite blue. Surely would produce a nice effect. Tell me more about it. Have you some photos of your black Rio Sedan? Love to see it.
Racineur

· Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Helloooo fellow detailers!!!!

So you want your car to look shiny but not to damage your paint? Are you new to detailing and want some details? Well look no more.

Here's a list of equipment you will need.
1) 2 buckets and at least 1 grit guard (2 is preferable)
2) A Washmit or a Sponge (The softer the better) I like sheepskin
3) Shampoo If you dont want something easily accessible->Meguires Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash | Canadian Tire You can find this stuff anywhere
4) Claybar This will help you lube your car nice and take our any small imperfections your sponge/mitt couldn't-> I recommend Riccardo's and if you're in the USA then just do a little research into what people recommend
5) You will now need a sealer to keep things nice tight and fresh for your wax I prefer Poor boys sealer with shine
6) Now you will need wax. I go with liquid wax->Sonax cause I'm lazy and it does the job haha
7) A drying towel (Microfiber plush! EXTRA PLUSH!)

This is quite basic with no polishers/window care/interior care/wheel wash.

Here are some good read articles into taking care of your car/paint
eShine Canada- Car Care Articles and Instructions

Remember do your research before your touch your car. You can leave marring and scratches or buy a bunch of useless products that are crap :)

Have fun shining your car!

· Registered
169 Posts
:eek:Hi, yes I did wax the car with plain old Turtle. Happy as usual but not overwhelmed...as usual. I'd like to try this wonder but it's the "baking time" that I don't understand. Please tell me more. My Rio is Tanzanite blue. Surely would produce a nice effect. Tell me more about it. Have you some photos of your black Rio Sedan? Love to see it.
Racineur
First you need to strip off the wax you applied. Just use dawn dish washing detergent or something similar.

The baking process is just letting the car sit in the sun so the liquid glass cures.
You can apply another coat every 4 hours if you have the time.
This stuff last a lot longer than any wax. Once you've coated it several times. You can apply it maybe once every six months if you so choose.

I've used the clay bars and nearly every wax out there. Remember I owned a detail shop.;) So I've had plenty of cars to experiment on. Nothing out there shines as deep or as long liquid glass. Besides, using liquid glass is much easier than the clay bar thing. Look at all the reviews online. You won't find a single negative complaint.:)

I haven't taken pictures as yet. Maybe by next weekend if time allows. Don't cheap out on regular wax. This one can of liquid glass should last nearly two years used on the RIO.

· Registered
169 Posts
Here's a couple pics after two coats of liquid glass. I applied the first coat a week ago. The second coat was applied Saturday. So the pics are one day after and there is dust on the car. The white stuff on the hood, windshield and roof are the reflections of clouds in the sky. I also put two coats on the windshield!

· Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX
22 Posts
I just waxed mine this weekend with Mequirs gold (normal wax), I'm not a professional detailer but I have waxed a few of my older cars. I waited 1 month because I wanted to see where the dirt built up and other attributes of the aerodynamics (not related to waxing).

I did 1 coat of wax to start, My SUV I put 10 coats over 3 months on it and have had good results as far as the car still looking new after 2 years. The hardest part of the wax job was the front end and getting a good swirl on it by hand. on by Blue SUV mequires worked ok, my Rio is white so besides water beading i cannot tell its been waxed.

Clar bar'ing is only really needed after a year or so and maybe only every 3 years, best test for this is a microfiber towel. Take the towel on your clean car and just drag it over a flat surface on the car, if it has friction you need to claybar. You will be a believer in the claybar if you do half of the surface and drag the towel over it a second time. Well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.