Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
kia 2002 rio
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]

hey all. question on the 2002 rio. bought used in the midwest at 28000 miles. after 18000 more miles to the west coast, gulf coast, east coast, and bunches of mountains, i have never seen the h2o temp needle reach the mid point on the gauge. rarely do i hear the fan come on. i keep the oil changed and it seems to run good. average mpg for the trip was around 43 mpg. have gotten as high as 48 mpg on a two tank check. with the weather cooling off the milage seems to be dropping a little, still about 41 mpg (most driving is open road - non city). should i be concerned about the gauge? thanks for any tips or info. ciao, jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
In all honesty, I've never seen mine go above the 1/3 mark. It seems to either be a bad guage, or it is kept very well regulated. However, I do hear the fan kick on every so often, but I can generally only hear it if I'm stopped at a light.

I've never had any problems with mine. I'm up to roughly 40k. It does start out below the bottom line on a cold start, and then warms up within about 1-2 minutes.

Don't know if this helps or not -- just wanted to share my experiences with it :)

·
Registered
kia 2002 rio
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for the reply. yes, i feel a little more secure now with that input. the car does heat up within 1 or 2 minutes and i get plenty of heat on the inside if i want it so i will just cruze with it and keep an eye on things. thanks again :banana:

·
Registered
66 Posts
How do you get or averaage 40+ mpg ?
Mine is around 30 mpg...either i'm doing something wrong or i need to change something...
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
kia 2002 rio
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey john
no idea on how i am getting the high milage. for the ultra-48 i did a 5 mile below the posted speed limit i.e. 50 in a 55 and stayed on the highway. was in the summer - temps ~ 80 degree, drive like you have no brakes, coast to slow before the lights, put an egg under the gas pedal and don't break it. drive like a slow grandparent. for my normal 40 plus. i don't brake hard or take off hard. i drive less than 10% of total milage in the stop and start city and stay at 55 on the open road. i maybe a little slower but i save on gas and i enjoy the drive more. i have slick-50ed my cars in the past and noticed that this does help too. i might do it on this car, not sure yet. hope this helps. jeff

ps. check the tire pressure. i need to add about every 3 weeks to stay at 30psi and keep a really clean air filter on it too.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,116 Posts
it shouldnt go to half just before half is perfect.

·
Registered
kia 2002 rio
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, just below half is perfect but to never rise above that point even when you are in traffic at 12,000 feet in the rockies going 20 mph or in the desert at 115 degrees at mid-day again with stop and go traffic? i don't think it is working properly but it has made it so far. what to do? an after-market gauge perhaps but i don't really want to mess with it. time will tell. do get way above average gas mileage though. enjoy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts