Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Sportage 4 cyl.. It went from no leaks to really good flow but can't really see what's leaking. Heard gurgling from behind the black ribbed cover on the front of the engine when I turned it off. I have had other vehicles water pumps go before but they dripped first. I saw a previous post that said it was complicated. Is there any diagrams anyplace? How hard is it?

THANKS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is the water pump.
Is it best to have it done profesionally or can a backyard mechanic do it?
Has anybody done there's and any suggestions or problems?
I would like to do the timing belt, I heard that has to be removed to get to the pump anyway.
How long did it take?
THANKS

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
I don't know the exact procedure myself but from what i understand it is tedious. Although if you have the ability to do it yourself, it will save a lot of money. Time sensitive tedious tasks mean lots of labor costs. But yes, timing belt change and water pump change go hand in hand because of all the items that have to be removed. I've heard it helps to remove the radiator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I took it to the dealer who is going to do it for about $400. They say it is a 4 hour job and I figured seeing I have never did a timing belt before I didn't want to mess it up.

Love this forum though.
Thanks to all you techs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts