Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage 2.0CRDi 2WD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 kia sportage which i purchased in March this year. Luckily there hasn't been any rain in our area since then, but every time I wash it, a considerable amount of water leaks into the spare wheel well...has anyone had this issue before? I suspect that it is leaking through behind the tail lights (water run-off from roof in boot groove/drain and then down behind the lights...) but i'm not too sure, just wanted to check if anyone else has heard of something similar?

thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
David...
Welcome to kia-forums!
We need some posters from S. Africa to balance out our forums!
I would think KIA themselves would want to know about it and fix the problem.
It being a 2012 it should be in warranty for that kind of repair.
I have watched their videos on building KIAs and they really took pride in their inspection of the car before leaving the factory..
Anything you might do could void their warranty so try them first...
Enjoy the forums!
Another David... in the USA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi david,
i had a similar problem on my 2012. it was the air-vent valve on the right side. this is a plastic flap type "valve" which is located in the lower left and right side of the trunk. it is not visible from inside because of the plastic covering, and not visible from the outside unless you take the rear bumper off. this plastic part is snapped in the body steel panel and sealed with a rubber sealing so no water should come inside the trunk. in my case the right one wasnt properly snapped in, which caused the sealing not sitting tight, so after some hours of rain i had some water in the trunk.
if you lay down under the rear of the car you can feel and maybe see these flaps from the underside, just if you stick your hand between the side parts of the bumper and the body panels. maybe it just needs to be snapped in properly...
regards
nick

edit: when i had the problem, i first also thought on the tail-lamps. but this is easy to check, just remove the two screws and pull hard on the tail-light in backward direction. you have to check only the rubber sealing for the wires, as this seems to be the only possible thing to get water inside...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts