Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water accumulating in the rear cargo area floor where the back seats go into the floor. The water even accumulates when the van is sitting in the driveway when it rains. Are there drain plugs anywhere that I can clean and resolve this problem?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
please gentlemen fill out your location and drives profiles, it makes it so much easier for us to answer questions.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sedona LX
2 Posts
I am having this problem as well with my 2012 Kia Sedona LX

I attempted to locate the problem using a garden hose and focusing the water on specific areas but I am not having much luck with this.

I suspect that its leaking from the top area of the rear door, either the antenna mount or perhaps the roof racks but this seems somewhat unlikely due to the volume of water entering the cargo area.

After about 30min of intermittent testing I managed to suck out nearly 2 cups of water from the floor area with my carpet cleaner.

I am planning on calling my dealer tomorrow but due to the difficulty I'm having finding the leak I suspect that this might be lengthy visit for them to isolate the problem.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX
17 Posts
I am having this problem as well with my 2012 Kia Sedona LX

I attempted to locate the problem using a garden hose and focusing the water on specific areas but I am not having much luck with this.

I suspect that its leaking from the top area of the rear door, either the antenna mount or perhaps the roof racks but this seems somewhat unlikely due to the volume of water entering the cargo area.

After about 30min of intermittent testing I managed to suck out nearly 2 cups of water from the floor area with my carpet cleaner.

I am planning on calling my dealer tomorrow but due to the difficulty I'm having finding the leak I suspect that this might be lengthy visit for them to isolate the problem.

Any suggestions?
should be fixed under warranty I would think.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia Sedona LX. We just had a torrential down pour for 2 days, and I have water pooling in the cargo area. Did anyone involved in this thread find the leak?

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia Sedona LX. We just had a torrential down pour for 2 days, and I have water pooling in the cargo area. Did anyone involved in this thread find the leak?
I think I may have nailed this one.

2 Years ago I was rear ended in my Sedona, and I was having leaking issues ever since - especially after heavy rainstorms. I went back to the body shop twice, but they couldn't find the problem.

I noticed water was coming in from two screw holes on the driver and passenger side where the wiring harness at the back wall clips in. They sealed the holes with silicone during my second visit.

I finally decided to pull the bumper cover off myself, and within 30 seconds I found the problem that eleuded them for 2 years. About 4" below the tail lights there is a ledge where 2 metal seems meet. On both sides there was a noticeable gap in the seam in the corner, that was right where water was flowing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finding the same water in the rear of my 2007 Sedona EX with a factory sunroof. Tracked the leak to the passenger side rear sunroof track drain. The rearmost part of the track has a plastic stop that funnels water into the drain hose. The problem appears to be this funnel leaks before the water gets into the hose and I can't figure out how to even remove it let alone repair it. I really hope I don't have to always remember to park downhill in the rain.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Use compressed air to blow out the sunroof drain hoses. That's the easiest way to clean them.

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
1 Posts
How was it fixed?

I think I may have nailed this one.

2 Years ago I was rear ended in my Sedona, and I was having leaking issues ever since - especially after heavy rainstorms. I went back to the body shop twice, but they couldn't find the problem.

I noticed water was coming in from two screw holes on the driver and passenger side where the wiring harness at the back wall clips in. They sealed the holes with silicone during my second visit.

I finally decided to pull the bumper cover off myself, and within 30 seconds I found the problem that eleuded them for 2 years. About 4" below the tail lights there is a ledge where 2 metal seems meet. On both sides there was a noticeable gap in the seam in the corner, that was right where water was flowing!
How was the problem fixed? Did the body shop repair it? I am having the same problem. My Sedona was rear ended and repaired back in July. There has been a leak ever since. I am hoping the body shop will still repair the problem.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Kia Sedona, 2005 Infiniti Q45, 1971 Buick Centurion Convertible
29 Posts
2007 EX Sunroof Leak-Are There Rear Drain Channels/Holes?

Use compressed air to blow out the sunroof drain hoses. That's the easiest way to clean them.
Greg:
I've copied something that you wrote in reply to a post from 5 years ago. Do you know if there are rear drain channels/holes in the Gen II Sedonas? If so, were are the exits so I might blow compressed air backwards through them to clear any blockages?

·
Registered
Sedona, 2010: Forte, 2017
14 Posts
I found the leak in my Sedona was coming from the gasket between the rear bumper and the body where it attaches. The vehicle was rear-ended and after the repairs there must still have been some minor damage that led to this mismatch.

Water would leak in and then, if the vehicle was at the right angle, enter the cargo area when the channel (that a tow bar would attach to) filled up sufficiently before the drain holes could do their bit.

I tracked down the leak by using a bore-scope camera and following the water back to the source. Took a long time to eventually track it down. Fixed it by replacing the gaskets with thicker ones I made myself.

·
Registered
Kia Grand Carnival / Sedona
1 Posts
Water Leak in Cargo area - Found cause

Well, this has been a problem for some time for me. First there was some small amount of water leaking from the cargo door stop light. Got that fixed. Then found a huge amount of water was entering the cargo area and was baffled where it came from.. It happened a few times and never really found where it came from. I finally nailed it by opening the sliding doors and felt the carpet on each side and to my surprise found it was wet on the right hand side near the door where the carpet was... Upon close inspection, I noticed where it was coming from. You can see drops underneath where it was coming...
I got a camera up all along there to have a closer look and it seems to be that the rubber seal had a bit of foreign grit all over it from sand, dirt etc.... So I have now wiped all the rubber area underneath the door sill (white flap) and also proceeded to wipe the entire black rubber seal around the whole door and the metal area where the black rubber seal meets the door frame when it closes. Over time it has picked up dust and dirt... So its all clean now.... will see if that fixes the problem. If not, I will be changing all the rubber seals. Note that the car when parked is on a small slope, so the water runs down the back into the cargo area.

I am fairly certain this is the main cause of cargo bay leaks apart from the leaking stop light seal

As a good measure, I recommend all Kia Carnival or Sedona owners to run over those areas on both sides for good preventative measure...

I am interested to know from other users if this has resolved their leaks...??

My car is a late 2006 Kia Grand Carnival with power driven doors

1 - 15 of 15 Posts