Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Picanto 2004 160k km and 2016 105k km
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wonder whether someone can assist... my daughter's 2004 Kia Piccanto started billowing white smoke out of the exhaust after one of her friends (allegedly a mechanic at Volvo) did a cooling system flush. As she doesn't have money to go to an agent, I opened the engine to see what is wrong expecting a blown head gasket or similar. The gasket doesn't seem to be compromised, although there definitely seems to be a rusty residue in the cylinders and on at least one of the valves. I would like to defer to an experienced person's opinion and proposed way forward. Is this typical of specific damage, blockage, etc. in any way?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,799 Posts
Hi, I wonder whether someone can assist... my daughter's 2004 Kia Piccanto started billowing white smoke out of the exhaust after one of her friends (allegedly a mechanic at Volvo) did a cooling system flush. As she doesn't have money to go to an agent, I opened the engine to see what is wrong expecting a blown head gasket or similar. The gasket doesn't seem to be compromised, although there definitely seems to be a rusty residue in the cylinders and on at least one of the valves. I would like to defer to an experienced person's opinion and proposed way forward. Is this typical of specific damage, blockage, etc. in any way?
The smoke was likely coolant - the "mechanic" most probably didn't bleed the system and it overheated and blew the head gasket.

Depends on the mileage, but it would be best to have the head overhauled and skimmed.

·
Registered
Picanto 2004 160k km and 2016 105k km
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strip and check done, head nice and even, rings and gaskets done, and all reassembled... there is water in the oil and oil in the water again (on stripping the engine fully I found the same). What could be the cause? Is there possibly a hidden perforation between oil and water channels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts