Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced a bad leaking radiator and now I am still overheating and have water shooting out the left(passenger) side of the engine,right around where the oil filter is mounted.....Cracked block or could it be a freeze plug?

When I replaced the radiator I flushed the system really good because I had a thick white paste in the radiator fluid and the hoses were all gooey as well.

2002 KIA Sportage 4cyl

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

Need some more history on the Sporty to help - are you the original owner? Was this a used car purchase?

(If you know) When was the last time the coolant was changed / serviced?

How many miles on the Sporty?

What consistency is the white paste (solid, slime)?

What is the gooey stuff in the hoses look like, is it white, or is it another color?

--
That area has coolant connections to the throttle body heater space, and connections to the heater core in the passenger cabin.. How do those look?

(I know it's a tight space in that area, but) Have you traced down the location where the coolant is leaking from?

Some more info would help us here on the forum to get a better idea of what's going on and try to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water and Goo

GottaCruise- Thanks- The white stuff looks like Elmer's glue in the hoses-White sticky and gooey--- the white stuff in the antifreeze looked like someone put flour into the radiator..white and lumpy....I will check on the heater core later today ( didn't think of that) I was all concentrated on the new radiator install.

I can see water shooting out somewhere around the oil filter mount, but have not isolated it yet- it was way too hot to feel around in there when it was shooting out.

Kia is 2nd owner- bought it from the neighbor who bought it new

has 103,000 miles

antifreeze was changed in April this year when another neighbor installed a new timing belt on it and no the water pump was not replaced at that time.

How hard is it to bypass the heater core? Live in South Florida so not much heat use down here.

again thanks for the reply

Wayne

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
The white goo may be someones attempt at stopping a coolant leak, you need to get that all flushed out..

It would be easier to remove any obstructions to have better access to area of leak. Then use a coolant system pressure tester to apply pressure.

There are 2 coolant hoses entering the cab, reroute one back into the second one, the will bypass the heater core.... Philip

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Agree with Philip - sounds like (1) of your neighbors tried to "help" by putting some "fix in a can" in the coolant system..

From what you describe, it sounds like they did so recently, so you may have a better chance of flushing that junk out of the system, vs. if the "stop leak" had been added (many months) ago..

I'd be talking to both neighbors and find out exactly what was done before purchase, so you know the exact situation you have currently -> what you need to do to fix the issues and move forward.

--

It is going to be difficult to target that leak from the top side of the motor: suggest using a mechanics mirror (on a extendable rod), or better, take the Sporty to a shop and have the vehicle up on a professional lift where the bottom end can be (safely) viewed to locate the leak -

I would not advise trying to "jack up the car" and attempt to view the leak in that manner, it's just too dangerous w/ leaking hot fluid, etc. (You may be tempted to get under there and try to locate, but this is how folks get hurt - best to be safe and do the diagnostics properly..)

--
There are (2) main metal tubes ("pipes") that supply coolant to the heater core assembly:

1) the Coolant Bypass Pipe, which runs from the Thermostat Housing -> underneath the Intake Manifold -> to the Heater Core hose connection,

2) the Coolant Return Pipe, which starts from the lower radiator return block on the motor (follow the lower radiator hose to the return block) -> and runs underneath the Alternator -> underneath the Exhaust Manifold -> around the back of the motor -> to the Heater Core hose connection,

If either of these is leaking, expect some major component removal / disassembling & down time to repair,

re: Freeze Plug leaking, that is also possible: there is a freeze plug installed on the lower block, look behind the A/C compressor -> located between the Oil Filter mount and the A/C compressor.

--
If you haven't already, consider signing up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer browser for the signup process, once there you can view the repair procedures for the bypass and return pipes for your year Sporty:

SPORTAGE(AL) >2002 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine Mechanical System -> Cooling System -> Engine Coolant Hose / Pipes -> (Repair Procedures)

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/39682-pinhole-leak-water-bypass-pipe.html

This thread has a pic of the coolant system, looking at the pic Item #28 is the Bypass Pipe, Item #49 is the Return Pipe.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
They do, but I don't believe any coolant is used w/ the oil cooler - AFAIK the oil cooler is a closed system, e.g. cools the oil after passing through the oil filter -> then returned to the motor.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
They do, but I don't believe any coolant is used w/ the oil cooler - AFAIK the oil cooler is a closed system, e.g. cools the oil after passing through the oil filter -> then returned to the motor.
Wasn't sure just a thought. I had a '97 Mercury Moutaineer that had a factory oil cooler and it was inline beteween the water pump & lower radiator hose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue, minus the white gunk. You can see pics in the thread I started and see if you are dealing with the same spot.

In my case, I can reach down and FEEL a split in the hose where it connects to that oil cooler, hell I can stick my finger in it but it's on the back side so I can't actually SEE it.

I cannot figure out how to GET to it to replace it though. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts