Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced your windshield washer pump go bad? The washers on my 2012 SX have just basically stopped working...front and back (yes the tank is full). When activated, they just kind of spit and foam...no full force spray.

Maybe trash in the lines...but who knows. Can't see the lines nor access the pump/tank easily.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Had any freezing temps overnight? Might have damaged the pump.
Bit early to have trash in the lines.
Get the dealer to look at it if it's still under warranty (it should be).

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had any freezing temps overnight? Might have damaged the pump.
Bit early to have trash in the lines.
Get the dealer to look at it if it's still under warranty (it should be).
No freezing here lately. Looks like another dealer trip is in order.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Where is the pump? I took a peek at our engine bay earlier today to see if I could help you out and I didn't see it. Sometimes they tuck it into the fender. Cobra?

Best,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the pump? I took a peek at our engine bay earlier today to see if I could help you out and I didn't see it. Sometimes they tuck it into the fender. Cobra?

Best,
Its in the fender in front of the right front tire. All can see from engine bay is the filler tube. Not a convenient place to try to access.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone experienced your windshield washer pump go bad? The washers on my 2012 SX have just basically stopped working...front and back (yes the tank is full). When activated, they just kind of spit and foam...no full force spray.

Maybe trash in the lines...but who knows. Can't see the lines nor access the pump/tank easily.
Well, took the Sorento to the dealership shop today. They put it up on the rack and took a look. The filter/screen on the washer pump was clogged up. So, they cleaned it.

THEN, they proceeded to tell me that the clog was due to using NON OEM KIA (or aftermarket as they put it) washer fluid.

Nowhere in the Owner's Manual does it state that ONLY Kia Washer Fluid is to be used or clogging could occur. I even took the owners manual out and asked them to show me where it's stated that I should only use Kia fluid. Of course they could not tell me.

Also, while I was there, another customer was in having service done, and mentioned having the very same washer issue on her Optima.

Question is, what's so special about the pumps on the Kias that makes them so sensitive to clogging?

I have always used non OEM washer fluids in every one of my cars, and never had any issue. I have a 2010 GMC Terrain as well that I use the very same fluid in...with absolutely zero clogging issues. It's just your average blue or (purple in this case...winter formula) washer fluid that you find anywhere...Target, PepBoys, etc.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
well in your owners manual it give you a recommended washer fluid to use with a KIA part number and specs.;)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Well, took the Sorento to the dealership shop today. They put it up on the rack and took a look. The filter/screen on the washer pump was clogged up. So, they cleaned it.

THEN, they proceeded to tell me that the clog was due to using NON OEM KIA (or aftermarket as they put it) washer fluid.

Nowhere in the Owner's Manual does it state that ONLY Kia Washer Fluid is to be used or clogging could occur. I even took the owners manual out and asked them to show me where it's stated that I should only use Kia fluid. Of course they could not tell me.

Also, while I was there, another customer was in having service done, and mentioned having the very same washer issue on her Optima.

Question is, what's so special about the pumps on the Kias that makes them so sensitive to clogging?

I have always used non OEM washer fluids in every one of my cars, and never had any issue. I have a 2010 GMC Terrain as well that I use the very same fluid in...with absolutely zero clogging issues. It's just your average blue or (purple in this case...winter formula) washer fluid that you find anywhere...Target, PepBoys, etc.
Of course, that's BS. Any aftermarket washer fluid is just fine and they won't be able to deny any warranty coverage as a result. Amazing what stealerships try to pull these days. As car reliability goes up, the dealerships grasping for any hint of additional revenue has become ever more of an issue.

Glad you got it cleared up.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
During this winter my Sportage windshield washer stopped working. I found the underhood tank to be full? So, I took a narrow broomstick, stuck it down there, and found the blue stuff frozen solid! :eek: Not knowing what to do I waited for a warm day, and ran it all out, front, & back. Although it was later suggested to maybe use a hair dryer to defrost it.

I could not believe that with only 22k miles on the car, someone at a previous dealer filled it with cheap crappy fluid! :rolleyes:

I had some new no-name orange -50 degrees below fluid on hand, filled it with that, and have had no problems since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts