Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 Door SX (Premium package)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Rio in Pennsylvania. The dealer had attached an advertisement for his dealership as the front license plate, which I removed. I see two dimple marks that are wider than the holes he drilled for his advertisement. Is there a front plate mount that I should purchase? If so, is it a dealer accessory thing or an after market thing.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Do you want a front plate frame? Does your state make you mount one?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not so much the frame but a plate onto which you mount the plate. My state (RI) does require a front plate. Usually RI cars come with box type mount attached to the front bumber to give you a flat surface for mounting the plate. My Kia Rio has a flat surface but I'm not sure if there should be mounting plate that attaches to that flat surface.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Look in your trunk, Kia usually gives you one. The frame that is.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
here in Ontario we have to have front plates, but they are just screwed into that front piece of plastic where you indicated the dimple marks. It also the same on my Soul too. There is no special frame that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Mine (Texas requires a front plate) is set up similar to conwelpic's. I just replaced the cheesy cheap plastic frames with matte steel ones, and capped the screws with chrome caps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I get pretty fanatical with my plates, quality frames, clear cover, etc. Plates are a big thing here in RI. They get passed down through generations and low number plates are the ultimate possession. I'll see how the dimples line up with my metal plates when they arrive. I'm still running with the dealer paper plate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look in your trunk, Kia usually gives you one. The frame that is.
Nothing in the hatch except the tire pump and some tools. There was a cargo net, which is nice.:)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Just go to your local dealer. I bet they will supply one for you at no cost.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks all. I get pretty fanatical with my plates, quality frames, clear cover, etc. Plates are a big thing here in RI. They get passed down through generations and low number plates are the ultimate possession. I'll see how the dimples line up with my metal plates when they arrive.
I know how you feel. I have a couple of personalised plates, and I like them to be fitted properly. Unfortunately, fitting the plates is often done by a ham-fisted salesman, or by an apprentice. It's also common here to apply plate frames with dealer logos etc. - These last about 10 minutes. Cars that I've bought lately have either been drilled with correctly-spaced holes (sometimes threaded), or have a plastic mounting plate, particularly for the front plate.

I really hate to see plates fitted off-centre or at an angle.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
We don't have front plates here, but the local dealer mounts their advertisment plate to the front of each car they sell. They use self-tapping screws right into the plastic.
I told them when I ordered my car that I didn't want them to do that to mine. The sales manager said that all the cars get that when the come off of the truck, what's the problem?. I said he'd lose my business over it... I'm not avertising their business for free. If you want me to advertise for you, take another $1,000 off the price.

There was no front plate on the car when I picked it up, and no holes... They did put their sticker on the back of the car, but that peeled right off in their parking lot.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I'm currently experimenting with covering my plates with 4 light coats of clear Plasti-dip instead of the clear covers to protect the plates. I found over a few years the clear covers are not as clear and subject to scratching easily.

The clear Plasti-dip has been on the front (which gets the most abuse) for about 6-7 months and still looks like new.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan EX Auto w/convenience pkg
15 Posts
chrisyoung, my dealer had also mounted their advertising frame on the front bumper of my car. I however, had a Kia front plate bracket and mounting hardware in my glove box. I removed the dealer frame, and mounted the Kia bracket and my new plate – thus creating four more holes. While I was glad to have the Kia supplied bracket and mounting hardware, I now have six holes in the front bumper of my new car! None of these are visible, with the bracket and plate installed, but it still bothers me knowing they are there. I believe I am required to have a front plate in Utah. I think I would have kept my front plate in the trunk, and taken my chances, if the dealer hadn’t already created two holes with their advertising frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chrisyoung, my dealer had also mounted their advertising frame on the front bumper of my car. I however, had a Kia front plate bracket and mounting hardware in my glove box. I removed the dealer frame, and mounted the Kia bracket and my new plate – thus creating four more holes. While I was glad to have the Kia supplied bracket and mounting hardware, I now have six holes in the front bumper of my new car! None of these are visible, with the bracket and plate installed, but it still bothers me knowing they are there. I believe I am required to have a front plate in Utah. I think I would have kept my front plate in the trunk, and taken my chances, if the dealer hadn’t already created two holes with their advertising frame.
Thanks. Can you post a picture? I'll check the glove box but I don't think I got the bracket. I'll be at a dealer tomorrow night. I'll see if they think I'm crazy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing in the glove box. I dropped by a Kia Dealership. Parts Dept. said there is no Rio bracket but Sales said sometimes they come with a bracket and sometimes they don't. Sales said I could order it from the Parts Dept. Almost funny. I'll try another dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan EX Auto w/convenience pkg
15 Posts
Chris,
I checked and I had saved the bags my items came in – ya, I know…
Anyway, here you go:
The bag containing the bracket reads:
Description: MLDG-FR-LICENSE PLATE
Part No: 86519-1W000
And
Description: T/SCREW
Part No: 12493-05167B (there are four of them)

Also, there was a little bag with four more screws:
86920-2K000
MT’G ASS’Y LICENSE PLATE
12493-05207B (FR, SCREW 2EA)
12210-06167B (RR, SCREW 2EA)
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX UVO 6MT
17 Posts
Keep in mind that there's a difference between the front bumper on the sedan vs. the hatch. Because the hatch already has a flat, black plastic surface on which to mount a front plate, there's not much need for a bracket, so they just give you the dimples to show where to screw in the plate.

The sedan has a different, body-colour front bumper section and from the ones I've seen, does get a bracket to attach the plate.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
good point allizdog, here's a shot of the front of a Rio sedan and can see how the mounting of the plate differs and must have some sort of bracket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Strongbunch and all. That's the same part number the Pennsylvania dealer gave me. I talked to a local Kia Parts Department who called his Kia Parts Wholesaler who confirmed that that part is strictly a sedan part not compatable with the 5-Door and there is no simiar part for the 5-Door. So I'm ending my quest and assuming, the Pennsylvania dealer drilled his holes where they should be and the wider spaced dimples are for Euro plates. I ordered a pair of Bell chrome plate frames with clear covers while I wait for my metal plates to arrive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts