Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty still valid if I purchased my 2012 Sportage at Carmax in Sacramento, CA? Need info to file a claim on engine failure with it being 8 years old with 92,xxx miles on the clock. Please point me in the right direction. Do I call or send an email to corporate? Sorry for being naive about this kind of thing. Never had to contact a carmaker before.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage EX
4 Posts
2nd owner warranty only goes to 60k. There might be a used engine or reman out there. Probably need to go to the dealer. In my experience, Kia isn't going to help.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
475 Posts
If the engine failure is related to the recall then it's still covered.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
627 Posts
Then in this case have the vehicle towed to a kia dealership and get them engaged.... prepare thyself for a not so positive response....good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!! Kia dealership did say that only original owner can claim the 10yr/100000 mile warranty so SOL there. I do have a warranty from CarMax. 48 months/125000 miles whichever comes first.

So my Sportage was towed to an authorized repair shop and they tore down the engine to find metal debris inside caused by a broken rod which ultimately rendered the engine dead. 3rd party Inspector will check overall diagnosis and should claim I am NOT at fault. Insurance will pick up the tab for a brand new motor which should be installed in about 2 weeks. I’m gonna try and get to the shop so I can get a few pics.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
627 Posts
The extra warranty you purchased was a gift from heaven! You will have little to no out of pocket, and have a new engine to boot! Highly recommend you get the trans fluid changed sometime soon, along with other fluids if you have AWD. Including brake fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts