Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorenta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Sorento EX, love the car, but I have one question. My seat belt warning sound (when I don't wear them while driving) and my sound doesn't sound when I lock the car with the FOB. My old car did both. Not sure if the Sorento even has/had these features, but I'm hoping they can be turned on or off, especially the sound for remote locking. I read the owners manual but haven't found anything on it.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
So your trying to turn the sound on??

I have never seen a Sorento that has produces a chime when locking.
Here is Aus, they simply have an imobiliser, and not a full alarm.

And yes they do have a chime sound if you drive the car with out a seatbelt on.
In fact it starts up as soon as you start the car if you dont have your seatbelt on.
Many people try to stop that chime, and there is no 'option' to stop it. Only workarounds.
If yours doesn't chime, i suspect the previous owner applied one of the workarounds.

1. There is a pin on the key barrel that detects when the key is inserted. Once insterted and your seat belt is don clipped in, it starts chiming. So people remove this clip/pin.
Apparently easy to see.

2. Disconnect the electrical harness to the seatbelt. (i believe this also stops the chiming.)
Its the bit that the strap clips into.

3. I believe this is the safest way as no one is sure how the seat belt pre-tensioner works if it senses that the seat belt is disconnected. Get a second seatbelt clip with electrical harness, plug this second one in instead and get a fake seatbelt clip that is always in.
Cable tie it to the bottom of the drivers seat. That way the electrical system always senses that there seatbelt is plugged in, and if required the seat belt pre-tensioner can still work as intended.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Wry chimes in...

I read the OP several times before I understood the problem(s). Most cars have a warning light for seat-belts; do you still have the light?

·
Registered
2004 Sorenta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No lights either. So I take it there is no sound when locking the car (my old car sounded the horn if I pushed the lock button on the FOB twice). Guess I have to take it for granted that the car is locked when I push the lock button on the FOB. On the seat belt issue, I guess I never checked whether it is plugged in or not. Will have to look. It's not that I am all that safety minded, it's just one gets used to some stuff and my wife finally convinced me to wear the darn thing, even though I personally think it gives people a false security, since I don't think wearing a seat belt makes you a better driver.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Here is Aus you can get finned for not wearing a seatbelt, and i always wear it.
It may not make you a better driver, but it can save you being thrown around by someone elses stupid/moronic/drunk driving.

But its up to you, not trying to push my views.

The seatbelt warning chime is a very annoying chime. Drives me up the wall. Even though i wear my seatbelt all the time. As soon as you start the car, its chiming if your seatbelt isn't on. If it started chiming when say driving, i wouldn't mind, but its very annoying, so i would think twice about trying to get it working.

With the locking, you i can clearly hear the doors locking when hitting the lock button, and all the indicators flash on.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
but it can save you being thrown around by someone elses stupid/moronic/drunk driving.
Been there, done that! (In a Sorento, too.) Just a personal opinion, but wear your F*****G seat belt! (Regardless of personal choice, it also saves others the messy clean up :eek: )

ps Right Hand Drive, broken windscreen is where my face would have been.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
It may not make you a better driver, but it can save you being thrown around by someone elses stupid/moronic/drunk driving.
Absolutely, was in a major crash in a Range Rover once, hit a Red Gum (bloody big, bloody hard tree, to our US friends) head on at 80 Km / h walked away with nothing but a few bruises and shock, due to excellent Rover engineering, wearing my seat belt, and the big feller above looking out for me.
ALWAYS wear you seatbelt.

·
Registered
2004 Sorenta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wearing my seatbelt all the time, just like to have the chime working when not wearing it, have not found out why it isn't working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts