Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Picanto Strike
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When sitting in the car (2009 Picanto Strike) with everything switched off and the keys not in the ignition, if I open the driver's door, even just slightly, the warning beep starts. Opening the other doors has no effect. With the key in the ignition it doesn't happen either. I've had the car from new and I don't remember this beep sounding before. I'm sure I've sat in the car, engine off, with the driver's door open, at some time or other, without the beep sounding every couple of seconds?

I looked at the manual and got the impression this was only programmed to happen if the lights had been left on so I double-checked there was nothing switched on.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just going quietly nuts and forgotten that it's always happened? :(

·
Registered
Kia Picanto Strike
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup! As far as I could tell I checked every switch was off. I'll look again tomorrow with the missus. She might spot something obvious that I've missed ...

·
Registered
Kia Picanto Strike
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to tie this one up - got into the car Saturday and it was no longer beeping. Absolutely no idea why but at least it's problem solved.

Coincidentally, my aged aunt who drives well but doesn't know what many of the knobs in the car are for had exactly the same problem develop in her Sirion. She also couldn't get her radio to work and so couldn't listen to her local radio station and hear how badly her football team were doing. Yours truly to the rescue ...

I got rid of the warning beep by switching off her fog-lights (thank you Ron!), and cured the radio fault by turning it on. Aunt very pleased and thinks I'm a genius! Brownie points and a free lunch :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
In mine if the fog lights are switched on when the headlights are on then they need to be switched off when the headlights are on and the engine is running to stop the beep.

If my picanto beeps at me then I start it up, headlights on, fog lights on, fog lights off, headlights off, engine off. Sorted... until the fog lights are switched on again!

Took me ages to figure it out, I think its something strange in the logic for the ECU.

Hope it helps,

David.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto Strike
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, David. I've not had the beeping since but I'll make a mental note of that tip as I'm sure there'll be a next time! All I have to try to fix now is a leak at the top of my windscreen which, last night on a rain-sodden A12, required the temporary workaround of a plastic mac and galoshes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nightmare! Mine had a small leak I thought was at the top middle of the windscreen - when I looked into it the leak was actually coming from the base of the radio antenna. I fixed it by getting a new one from kia (mine was bent as the crazy long antenna must have got caught on something) for about £15 and swapping it in. It was a fiddly job but I was able to do it without taking the head liner off, just removing the roof light gave enough access room. Although I think I needed to remove the sun visors as well to allow the head liner to move a bit. I didnt bother doing it under warranty as it was fairly clear my wife or me must have thumped the antenna off something. It was fairly obvious this was were it was leaking as when I took the cover off the light I got pretty wet... amazingly the light was still working fine!

David.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto Strike
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your further input guys.

As far as the mystery beeping with everything off and the driver's door open, I can only assume it was either water from the leak getting into the electrics or the foglight switch being on as suggested, with me turning it off whilst fiddling without really being as systematic as I thought I was being. Anyway, bottom line, it isn't beeping now.

The leak is a different story. First, bearing in mind cenjui's experience, I checked the water was coming in round the windscreen seal rather than the antenna. It was. I contemplated trying to run in some silicone round the rubber bead but in the end decided to bite the bullet and have it done professionally. I took it into Autoglass and they said that there was an 80% chance it would still leak if the work was done with the screen in situ. The only real remedy was to either have the screen taken out (if it could be done without cracking) re-treated and replaced, or to have a new screen installed (which I ended up having done).

The nasty part of this sorry tale is that the Autoglass fitter (of over 20 years' service) was able to predict what he would find when he removed the leaking screen: deliberate gaps in the mastic from when the previous replacement screen had been fitted. The company responsible went into liquidation so their lifetime guarantee became worthless. The Autoglass guy said that they'd dealt with work by this defunct company where the screen could almost be lifted out.

Well anyway, Autoglass have done a good job and it all seems to be leak-free now ...

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts