Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I put them on my wifes kia sportage last year about this time maybe a bit sooner. well they stopped working which we did not find out till after the storm we had friday and she got stuck in a snow drift. well I took them apart and I had to clean them out. some parts had rust on them and the alum housing oxidized so it wouldnt let the parts move to lock in. so i cleaned them up and greased them up. they work great again. so just wanted to let you all know that you might want to check them and even take them apart and clean and grease them up.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Supposed to clean and re-grease them yearly I think. I put new wheel bearings on last year and I think my mechanic did it:confused:
Guess I better check.
One thing I did was used anti-seize on the bolts so they don't rust and break off.:eek:
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
1998 Sportage 4x4
25 Posts
Had same problem used same remedy, one axle has locking ring pop off letting axle slide inboard disengaging from hub with subsequent loss of 4wd. I suspect this also let's moisture in and collects in hub causing corrosion. Have replaced locking ring and washer, and cleaned out grove in axle but it still forces lock ring off. I don't have a solution as yet I don't really want to replace axle but I have a need for 4wd.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts