Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was possible to lock the car while it is running to warm the car up during the winter.. or to leave it running while running inside a building and back??

With the push to start, smart key fob it always seems to beep when ever I try to lock the car when the vehicle is running.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
I recall a thread about this last year. If I remember right you would need to add a remove starter to the Sorento for this to work.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
a vehicle warms up quicker when its driven not when its idling, just idling for 30 seconds to a minute is enough. If its covered in snow, start it while you clean it off and by the time you are done its ready to go, same with ice. For extreme cold a block heater is much more effective and have it on a timer to kick in about 1-2 hours prior to you driving.
Each 100 seconds of idling is equivalent to driving 1 mile.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I saw on youtube that a guy with an Optima programmed a Remote start to work with his Smart keyfob. It was very neat cause all he had to do was hit lock twice and it would start.

I would definitely consider a system like this!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
a vehicle warms up quicker when its driven not when its idling, just idling for 30 seconds to a minute is enough. If its covered in snow, start it while you clean it off and by the time you are done its ready to go, same with ice. For extreme cold a block heater is much more effective and have it on a timer to kick in about 1-2 hours prior to you driving.
Each 100 seconds of idling is equivalent to driving 1 mile.
I think the op means can he start it and lock it and leave to head back inside while it heats up. I would also like to know this as this is the first winter with my sorento.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
I think the op means can he start it and lock it and leave to head back inside while it heats up. I would also like to know this as this is the first winter with my sorento.
I understood that, I am saying that is not necessary for the reasons I stated.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
With the smart key you would have to leave the key in the car so that it doesn't beep.

I guess you could leave your second key or get a remote starter put in.

Problem with leaving a key in the car...easier to run off with. Also, once the car is started, I believe the smart key buttons no longer work. Many/most cars with smart keys are like this. You may need to use the key to lock and unlock the doors...and alarm.

You'll have to try it yourself and tell us how it went.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understood that, I am saying that is not necessary for the reasons I stated.
Believe it or not I DO know a car for the most part heats up faster moving down the road. My Sorento is parked in a garage though and it is nice and all.. but it is not a heated garage. I am wanting to be able to start it up for my wife in the morning and then (garage door open) and have it nice and warm for her when she goes to drive it. But I do NOT want someone to drive off with it though.

So while it is not necessary for you... it is for me for the reasons I stated. So while an idle car uses up my gas mileage it is mine to waste. Also I like to do the little things for my wife and was hoping to be able to do this without having to pay a large amount of money just to warm a car up when I can go out and start it myself. Not that lazy yet.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Another thing you can do to heat up the cabin is those portable electric heaters. They use a lot of electricity so you might want to hook it up to a separate battery and wire the battery so it does not discharge the main one and gets recharged while the car is started.

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I believe that a remote starter is probably your only reasonable option. Unless you feel like sitting in the vehicle while it is warming up.

There are various models and price points for them. The one I have on my SX has a key FOB I can use, and I opted for the one that has smart phone integration, so I can start it via my phone or tablet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
290 Posts
I drive a 2012 Sportage SX with push button start. I warm it up by starting it up and leaving the key fob in the vehicle (hidden of course) and locking the door with the key that is detachable from the key fob. Do not touch the door lock button since this will unlock all the doors while the vehicle is idling and the key fob is inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda6 2013 Sorento EX Pearl White GDI Premium Package
13 Posts
I have started the car and forgot something inside my house, I just got out with the key in my pocket and it beeped for a bit but never stopped running. I don't think they automatically can shut off if you walk away with the key, have you tried?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I have started the car and forgot something inside my house, I just got out with the key in my pocket and it beeped for a bit but never stopped running. I don't think they automatically can shut off if you walk away with the key, have you tried?
I walk away from mine all the time with it running and it never shuts off. Just beeps for 5 seconds or so then nothing. Just flashes a big red KEY OUT symbol on the dash.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Yes, you can walk away and leave the engine running. Did it the other night so my wife had A/C while I went to the shop. Apart from that, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave a car running unattended; anything could go wrong.

"Warming up" at idle is a pointless exercise; better to drive off after about 30 seconds and then it gets properly warm.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I use my spare key to start it on really cold mornings then have to lock it from the outside with my other key. It usually only has to idle for about 5 minutes to be warm by the time i get back. Then I have to unlock with my key to get back in and go... I usually only do this on really cold days since it warms up pretty quick when driving.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
Yes, you can walk away and leave the engine running. Did it the other night so my wife had A/C while I went to the shop. Apart from that, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave a car running unattended; anything could go wrong.

"Warming up" at idle is a pointless exercise; better to drive off after about 30 seconds and then it gets properly warm.
For me, it is NOT a pointless exercise as I do want my steering wheel to be warm, so as my seat and inside of my sorento as I drive to work.

To the OP, remote start would be the option. Or you can just start it, then leave the vehicle running. Tried it too when my remote start shuts off after 15mins and im not yet done clearing the snow off. Haven't yet tried locking it though after starting it again. The car will beep signalling that the keyfob isn't inside but just don't mind it.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Did you read either of my posts earlier in this thread??
It is not a pointless thing for me.. while it might be for you, I try and make the vehicle warm for my wife without having to sit in it while doing so. I would rather lock it while I am NOT in it and doing so.
If you think that is pointless then please refrain from commenting again. Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me, it is NOT a pointless exercise as I do want my steering wheel to be warm, so as my seat and inside of my sorento as I drive to work.

To the OP, remote start would be the option. Or you can just start it, then leave the vehicle running. Tried it too when my remote start shuts off after 15mins and im not yet done clearing the snow off. Haven't yet tried locking it though after starting it again. The car will beep signalling that the keyfob isn't inside but just don't mind it.
I would rather not do the remote starter option if I can help it but it looks like more and more it is going that way. Not to mention some come with a good alarm option and recently my Sorento was broken in to and having a good alarm better then the factory one is a good thing.

Still until I can afford it.. I would like the option to warm up the interior (Not the engine folks) for my wife without having to be inside of it and monitoring it. Most vehicles you can lock and let idle for a little bit and then come sit in a nice warm car when you get back to it no muss no fuss. So locking and on and idling is what I am wanting to do.

Greatauror,
You want what I want :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts