Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you have done/seen an iPad mini installed in the dash of a Rio? Or if its possible...

I was thinking of getting the Sony MEX-GS600BT (i know sony isn't the best brand for car audio but the part that sold me was the app remote) and then mounting an iPad mini in front of that. Do yall think theres enough room on the dash to do this? Also, know a company that could do this for me. I dont have the tools and/or knowledge of doing this and dont want to mess up my car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
try calling a few shops in your area... youd be surprised what some locals can do. I have seen mini ipads in the Escaalde, which is what I was leaning towards as well on our family hauler.

·
Registered
KIA Rio5 2012 EX
18 Posts
I would not recommend replacing the stock UVO with an IOS device. Unless you have a cell phone data plan an iPad is gonna be completely useless unless all your music is purchased FROM iTunes. There is no way to load your own music onto an iOS device without Jailbreak, which Apple successfully started blocking in April 2013.

I have a 64gb fob I can just plug in with 10000 songs and I can use bluetooth with my phone to stream music from the web. There is even a neat CD bay phone holder which I can mount my phone for Torque/GPS.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have the UVO system, I have the basic radio. And if i go this route, I'd get the ipad with data so i could get gps directions and listen to pandora or whatever. And yes all my music is on iTunes but not purchased from there... Torrented :)
They haven't completely blocked jailbreaking, just all the devs who do make jailbreaking possible are holding off until iOS7 so apple doesn't plug the holes they use. But I really don't mind if I can't jailbreak it. Just thinking an ipad would be cheaper than an actual dvd/nav radio since I want to play movies and have navigation in my car and want an iPad so why not put the two together. lol

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5 door hatchback
40 Posts
I don't know where you got that information on loading music onto a device that is not jailbroken because it is not true. We are an Apple family and while my iPhone IS jailbroken my dad has an iPhone 5 that is not jailbroken and his whole library is...as michaelwb11 says "torrented". Furthermore I can't even have music purchased from iTunes even if i wanted to because....well....iTunes store doesn't exist in my country, only AppStore... so there's that.

On the topic - I have been looking for couple of days now on the web and found many many people that installed Nexus 7 in their cars and I believe that is a better solution. There have been some pretty great installs and I can copy the links here if you are interested. Some are simple and some are very complicated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts