Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I originally bought my Spectra 5 I asked the dealer if I could purchase new rims and still keep my warranties. I have the tire/wheel warranty, as well as the regular warranty. The salesman told me there wouldn't be a problem as long as I bought the rims through them and I had the dealership install them. No prob. Ok, fast forward to one year later (I've moved, so different dealership). I'm ready to buy my rims, but I am calling around to re-verify that I'm not voiding my warranty. Of course, now they think I'm crazy for asking IF new rims would void anything, and telling me that I definitely would be voiding all warranties. What gives? Should I be sending an explode-o-gram to the origional dealership I bought my car from, or should I just ask the question to another dealership on a different day?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I do'nt understand how new wheels would void the warranty. I believe that some dealers are telling owners this to get out of doing warranty work which they probably do'nt make any money on. We do have the Magnuson act on our side.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It could depend on what size wheels/tires you fit. Anything non-standard could be considered to put warranty on connected parts (suspension, bearings, drive shafts, even brakes) in jeopardy. If the wheel/tire combo is fitted on another spec of same model, then you are in a better position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some 17s just the other day, other than that, I'm keeping the overall wheel size and offset the same, so as not to cause any huge questions.

I finally called the KIA headquarters and he told me that I would only void the warranty on parts that were proved to be damaged as a direct result of my changing my wheels. However, from reading some of these posts...proving that my wheels damaged any part of my car will come easily and quickly. The guy actually told me that installing an aftermarket radio would void my entire electrical warranty. Isn't there some kind of safeguard for a professional installation?

·
Registered
66 Posts
the only way thay can denay your warrenty clam is if thay put it in writing why thay are refusing the clame and thay must by law prove that the after makret part you installed on your car IE your rims and tires caused the the problem.
get it in writing and then take the fight to the company

1 - 6 of 6 Posts