Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 Sedona Le Auto.

I'm fitting an after market cruise control and I can't for the life of me find the VSS / Speed Sensor wire.

Does anyone know where to find it and what voltage to expect when at idle?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone else stuck and googling this (I googled a LOT and turned up nothing concrete), I have now successfully fitted the cruise control. The VSS / Speed Sensor wire is commonly used when fitting certain car radios, taxi computers and cruise control.

I should add at this point, I have the 2.9L Diesel Auto in the UK (right hand drive). This may vary with other engines and countries.

Once you have removed the plastic panel (kick guard?) on the drivers side, there is a block of wires on the right hand side.

Two of these are for the dashboard console - and one of these blocks has the VSS. I found it to be the block on the bottom. If you disconnect this, you should find your rev counter and speedo stop working (it's safe - I drove like it in a car park to test). Once you have the correct block, plug it back in.

Now to find the correct pin for the VSS. Get your multimeter, set it to 200V (from what I read the VSS voltage can vary from 1.5v to 24v). For the ground probe, you can put this anywhere that's grounded - but I found the most secure place was the diagnostic port on the bottom - you can clearly see two ground cables and you can push your multimeter end into the pin connector where it holds it firmly.

Next, grab your red probe and insert it into each pin, one by one, each time testing by driving forward and seeing if the voltage changes. Any pins that gave me 12V, I ignored. Eventually I found it, and it was plain WHITE.

Give yourself a few quick jolts forward on the accelerator and you should see the voltage jump.

I believe the tacho / rev cable works in a similar way - so you run the risk of picking the wrong one. By chance, when I was attaching the vampire block, I cut the cable in two (whoops) - so this gave me an opportunity to test I had the right one. I drove off and the rev counter carried on working whilst the speedo didn't. I used a terminal to re-attach the wire and attach my cruise control sensor wire.

I hope this helps someone else that is struggling! This general guide should help anyone with up to an 05 plate Kia Sedona/Carnival. 06+ they moved to CAM bus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts