Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just changed the cv axles (both) on my 2002 Rio ... shortly thereafter (within 20 miles) the check engine light came on .... stopped at Autozone and had them check the computer and the code P0501 came up stating the VSS was either bad or had a bad connection. When we changed the passenger side, there was what was presumed to be an ABS connector. My car doesn't have ABS so the guy just "hooked it back up" on the new axle. Could this have been a problem? Do I have ABS on one wheel? Don't think that is true, but I don't know ... HELP!!

Just changed the cv axles on my 2002 rio and there was what we thought was an ABS thingy on the passenger side. Could this be the VSS because within 20 miles the check engine light came on and i had it checked at autozone and the code P0501 came up ... VSS ... could we have not connected it back up to the axle correctly? The speedometer works as spec'd.

Signed,
Totally flustered

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Yep that is the VSS make sure your new cv/axel has the slots on it so the sensor can work. I saw other post's where the new one didn't have it, hence the code. And don't be fooled the speedometer is fed from the tranny VSS. The one on the cv/axel feed's the ecm. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn. http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service info and schematics

1 - 2 of 2 Posts