Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2005 Kia Sedona, V6, that runs fine. However, for some inexplicable reason, we hear a sound as if we are being passed by a "zooming" motorcycle. It gets our attention to the point of sometimes causing a flinch, or at least, a quick look in the mirrors to see where it is coming from. However, there is no motorcycle. No car. No nothing. Just us on the road. It matters not if we are coasting, braking, accelerating, or simply cruising. Down hills or up hills. Or on the flats. When the noise occurs, it is quite surprising (the "phantom" motorcycle seems to be about to hit us) . . . and we have no reason as to why this sound occurs. Oh yes, no radio on either. AC can be either on or off. (I may not be 100% correct on that one, but we think that is the case. So, has anyone had a similar experience with their Sedona? And before you ask: No, the sound is not our own exhaust. It "vrrroooms from a low to louder pitch and quits. Exactly like being passed by a high-performance motorcycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope some one has an answer for us.

Gary
NW New Jersey

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Not quite sure where it is coming from or what is causing it but have someone put it in gear and put the hood up on it and try to narrow it down under the hood if you can. Its going to be hard to do becasue sound can be a tricky thing to trace sometimes but its worth a shot. Or bring it to the dealer. It should be covered under warranty.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Oddly enuff...this just happened on my 2003 Sedona the other day. It was extremely hot out and I had been running errands mostly stop and so city driving, and I had the air conditioning blasting all the way. As I was in stop and go city traffic I began to notice this "Vroooom " sort of vibration more toward the passenger side as the car would throttle down from short stop to the next short stop. I pushed the air conditioning button to off and couldn't hear it. When I pushed it back on it returned. I had to make and let the car sit for a few mintues. When I restarted, I couldn't get the sound back, but I also didn't have very far to drive at that point.
We usually use the van for short hops, maybe this noise was always ready to go but we never generated the kind of heat it might neart to get going. The dealer will NEVER find this one ...I'm not even going to waste my time. I'll wait to see if someone in here lucks out and gets it diagnosed, then maybe I'll have something to go after.....Vrooooommmmm......rummmmmbllllllle !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the same issue...a loud whooping noise from the right rear (2003 Sedona)....only with a/c on. I have been to the dealer several times and they are no help. The just laugh when the noise is described. I have gotten them to admit that many people have complained but they cannot reproduce the noise....they are not willing to put in the time to drive it for an hour. I called KIA and they are absolutely no help. They won't authorize the repair nor will they agree to pay the dealer to spend the time to find the problem. I referenced this forum and they refuse to even look at it. A warranty is useless if it is not honored.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Noise fixed?

I wish I read the the pdf file two days ago. I've had the Sedona at the dealer trying to fix the siren/vroom noise. Initially, the dealer claimed it was worn and cracked belts but then backed off after I started asking questions. This is not a belt noise.

I demanded they check and report to me the low pressure and high pressure A/C line pressures. They initially refused saying the warranty would not pay for diagnosis because the A/C was not broken. I quoted the owners manual about abnormal noises and van behavior and they finally agreed to check. I got a call this morning and they said they would be replacing the A/C compressor under warranty. No specifics on what was wrong. See my other posting about high, low pressure line readings...

I guess I'll be heading back to the dealer to have the rear expansion valve replaced as well. Thanks for posting the pdf.

T-minus 5000 miles til no warranty....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good luck....my dealer cannot reproduce the noise..and therefore will not fix it.I talked with Kia Customer support (what a joke)...they will not authorize the repair without the dealer actually hearing the noise....I asked to speak with the guy who makes the decisions and the rep sad that she would give him the message, but that he probably won;t call back as he deals with dealers, not customers. ...the dealer wont spend the time to make it happen without payment..... the funny thing is that even my 4 year old hears it and knows its abnormal.

Spread the word....KIA DOES NOT HONOR ITS WARRANTY!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the PDF attached in this thread a TSB from Kia? Where did it come from?

Anyways, with the new compressor, no vroooom noise...it's only been 3 days, though

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the pdf file on this site under anotherheading....I do not know if it is a service bulletin.....this noise seems to be a known issue, but Kia refuses to replace it on my word..apparently they fear that I am trying to get a free expansion valve out of them....too funny .They have to replicate the noise...something that is too time intensive for my Kia dealer to bother with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To be fair...and to my surprise...the dealer representative (the Kia guy who deals with dealers) did call me back. He was going to visit the dealer and try to help resolve the issue. I am encouraged by the conversation I had with him. We shall see if it leads to resolution of the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I finally have a resolution to the A/C noise. Recall the A/C compressor was recently replaced under warranty, the mooing noise persisted. I returned the van for service at the dealer with the explicit directions to replace the rear A/C expansion valve under warranty.

The dealer stated the nothing was broken and the noise was a "common concern for this vehicle." That did not sit well with me and after getting no where with the dealer I called customer service. One important detail is the dealer did hear and diagnose the sound as being the rear A/C expansion valve.

I talked to a customer service case manager on Kia's 1800 number and he discussed the situation with the dealer. I faxed the posted .pdf file describing the issue and how to fix the noise to the customer service case manager. I guess that did it because I got a call saying the van was ready...new valve and all.

The customer service case manager even called to follow up.

Be persistent, I think the Kia warranties work on a reject everyone first, only fix it if the customer pushes back, basis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well....I tried to be fair.....the dealer rep stated he was visiting the dealer who sold me the van....and that they or he would call me back......no call from the dealer....no call from the representative. Apparently, buying Korean is a bad idea. What good is a warranty that is not honored? A Honda, though more expensive, would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
Kia Carnival 2,9 HPDI EX 5d Nordic
9 Posts
;) I had the same experiance with my old car, a Rover620, it was due to the A/C cooling control valve, at some "settings" it was stuck/erratic.
I replaced it and all okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After a few more calls to Kia and the dealer rep....I finally had authoization to replace the rear expansion valve. The local dealership denied that the rep had authorized the fix....I called him back and let him know about the issue....called the dealer back and they agreed to replace the valve under warranty. I cannot report a complete fix....I'll have to wait until summer to run the a/c consistently.

·
Registered
221 Posts
glh2srt said:
Be persistent, I think the Kia warranties work on a reject everyone first, only fix it if the customer pushes back, basis.
Good to hear that your issue was resolved. But I have to agree totally with your comment. This is the way KIA deals with its customers. Pretty poor if you ask me, but to be fair the product itself (especially the earlier models) have some reliability issues.

For DW and me it was a complete engine blown twice by the time 75,000kms came and 6 years. :eek:

Needless to say we sold the car (for a huge loss) and got something with a bullet proof engine in it.

·
Registered
04 sedona
15 Posts
Ive been starting to hear this mooing / vroom sound when i have the AC on, but only when i break.

i was wondering on any updates from those who did change the valve,
I want to be sure thats the problem before i go to the dealer again.
the first time i went, they said it could be the brakes. I would have to pay to change them, then see if that was the problem ,what B/S. (31000 miles on the van).

·
Registered
23 Posts
sport said:
Ive been starting to hear this mooing / vroom sound when i have the AC on, but only when i break.

i was wondering on any updates from those who did change the valve,
I want to be sure thats the problem before i go to the dealer again.
the first time i went, they said it could be the brakes. I would have to pay to change them, then see if that was the problem ,what B/S. (31000 miles on the van).
I'm on my second Sedona...an '04 this time. I'm still close to the '03 with the original vroooom sound and have not heard any negative reports on the A/C...the vans in Florida now, so the A/C's getting used everyday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts