Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We upgraded to a 2012 Sorento from a 2011 Sportage to be able to tow, now all I hear from Kia is that we could void our warranty if we don't use Kia parts or Kia advantage parts. The problem is I have called North American Kia and local dealers and they have called Kia and came back and told me they do have Kia or Kia advantage parts supported (break controllers, the dealership we bought it from, tells me it may or may not void my warranty. Can any one point me in the right direction? Just want to do want my owners manual states, 3,500 lbs actually around 3,100) with brake controll if I can find one without voiding my warranty.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,693 Posts
If your worried that much, buy a Kia hitch. You can buy ANY hitch you like, you do NOT have to use Kia parts. As for a b/controller I don't think #3500 will need any type of brake controller at all. Just not enough weight involved to need one.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
If in doubt, have your local stealer install the towing bits. For a 3000lb load, there shouldn't be any issue.

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX 2.4L (A/T), 2011 Sorento EX 3.5L (A/T) AWD
104 Posts
If your worried that much, buy a Kia hitch. You can buy ANY hitch you like, you do NOT have to use Kia parts. As for a b/controller I don't think #3500 will need any type of brake controller at all. Just not enough weight involved to need one.
Not true, it varies by state...
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

If the trailer does have brakes it will depend on if it has electric or hydraulic surge brakes as to whether you need a controller or not.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
In Australia, by law any trailer over 750kg MUST have brakes. Be they electric or hydraulic override.

If your trailer has electric brakes, then get the controller.

I googled how much 3,000lb is, and it comes to just over 1,350kg.
I remember towing a trailer totalling about 1,200kg, which had non-operational (buggered) hydraulic override brakes. It was a scary experience.
Would not recommend.
(Sorento weight - around 2,500kg (just over 5,500lbs))

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
I think pulling 3,500 pounds without electric brakes is nuts, but to each his own. I wouldn't do it personally, and in some states, it's illegal.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
it's actually 3500 pounds minus the weight of the passengers, and whatever cargo if already inside the Sorento

so, it's way less than 3500 pounds, if your Sorento is loaded with 7 people assuming all average male easily 200 each that's already 1400 gone, so you are only left with 2100, assuming you have nothing else heavy on the roof or whatever you can fit in that little trunk space of a 7 seater

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
it's actually 3500 pounds minus the weight of the passengers, and whatever cargo if already inside the Sorento

so, it's way less than 3500 pounds, if your Sorento is loaded with 7 people assuming all average male easily 200 each that's already 1400 gone, so you are only left with 2100, assuming you have nothing else heavy on the roof or whatever you can fit in that little trunk space of a 7 seater
I think you're confusing the GVWR and trailer capacity. Putting a few people inside the Sorento should not reduce its trailering capacity. As long as the tongue weight of the trailer, occupants and luggage doesn't exceed the GVWR you should be fine. That being said, pushing close to the GVWR is probably best avoided too :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts