Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lx+ and it is coming in next weekend. I've been a little pro active and I bought door handle covers and just today bought a couple 3m vinyl tapes JUST FOR MY INTERIOR.

I wasn't able to find 3m vinyl products from ANY canadian website so I bought the following two from the USA. I think they'll contrast each other great. I bought 10 sq/ft of each vinyl so I should be able to customize quite a bit of my interior

3m 1080 Black Carbon Fiber CF-12
3m 1080 Brushed Aluminum BR-120

It took me hours of searching and I basically searched every single site that sold vinyl on the net. These two links were the only ones without crazy shipping costs to canada for these finishes. Even on Ebay over 90% of the ebay stores were charging $20+ to ship just 10 sq/ft of the vinyl !

$5 shipping to canada 3M Scotchprint Brushed Aluminum Wrap Film 24"X60" 10SQ Ft | eBay

$8.75 shipping to canada 3M 1080 Scotchprint Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap 2ft x 5ft 60cm x 152cm | eBay

I WILL POST PICS OF MY FINISHED PRODUCTS and possibly a YOUTUBE VIDEO of my application if I don't mess it up very badly. I know interior pieces won't be easy because of so many sharp curves but I have watched a ton of instructional videos on it and read forum tips so hopefully i do well once i start on it. :p

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can anyone tell me how to take off the middle vents, side vents, and the window angled dash vents ? I tried to find a safe method to pry them off and couldn't get it.

or is there a pdf guide of how to remove pieces on my car ?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished doing a couple vinyl trim pieces. Inner door handle I just vinyl'd the outside trim and the glove compartment handle. I will post pics here and in the 3g picture thread once I have installed them back in so people can see.
I'm only going to do a couple things at a time to make sure its not too much.
CANT WAIT FOR THE CARBON FIBER !

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone knows how to get the side vents off I would still love some help ! ... I took off the side plastic piece that is held in by clips, then i took off a screw that i believed was holding the side vents. Couldn't get them out.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
looks good...I was thinking of doing this to the interior of my car as it is cheaper then buying the kits.....I have never done work with vinyl before....can you write up directions on the best/proper way to do this?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure . You can actually go to the 3m website and they have a lot of directional videos. It is also my first time so don't worry about it. I did it while sitting on my bed with no squeegee and just a blowdryer and my hand. Its not difficult as long as you don't plan on doing very complex areas. And yes its much cheaper than a dash kit. I spent $100 and I got 10sq ft of brushed aluminum and 10 sq/ft of carbon fiber. I got enough for $100 to do my interior twice over.

My tips are

1. For sure buy 3m 1080 series. It is much thinner than Di noc and much easier to work with. I sampled both

2. Try to heat stretch as little as possible. If you can flatten and press down areas without needing to warm up and stretch, there is less tension and less of an urge for it to pull back.

3. Make sure to have at least maybe 5 millimetres of slack so that you can wrap around and stick it down.

4. If you can't get a wrinkle or crease out of the vinyl that you caused, just pull it up, heat it until it shrinks and goes back smooth and then put it down again.

5. lay down your vinyl and press it down on your flat surface alot first. Don't start in one corner because you want the tension to originate from the center of a flat surface. If you press down and tighten your flat surface first, any tension you create around corners will be held to a strong flat surface.

6. The gloss colors are very glossy and shiny. Almost as if it was fiberglass that was painted and clear coated. I preferred the brushed aluminum because it has the brushed texture THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY FEEL and a not too glossy silver finish.

7. Practice on something before hand. I practiced on a little section of a water bottle and on my xbox controller (very difficult). Once you have learned how to work it around curves, and corners, you are much more comfortable with it. I had a few very small wrinkles in my controller but it looks so awesome that I will leave it on for a while.

Heres a few more pics so you can see the color and texture of this finish.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts