Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Quick question for everyone who has a 2012/13 SX. I personally have a 5 door hatch in this case. However when I look up the VIN is lists the trim/model as EX or sometimes EX+. I was curious, has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
When I ordered my SX sedan in December 2012 Kia Canada called the top version LX+ then renamed it the SX.I got it as a 2013 @ the end of April.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
That's what I also understood from Canadian models. Initially they were sold as EX or EX+ but with the 2013 models or maybe even earlier they kept them or introduced them as SX like in the US.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine at the end of August. I suppose that makes sense. We don't really have a localized subsidiary like they have in Europe or the U.S. So we are getting rebadged trim levels from the parent (not including Hyundai) company, Kia Motor Company, to approximate the U.S. models for our market.

Are Kia's sold in the U.S.; specifically the Rio made in the U.S. or a location other the Seoul? I believe the Sorento and Optima are built in the U.S. for their market.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
Are Kia's sold in the U.S.; specifically the Rio made in the U.S. or a location other the Seoul? I believe the Sorento and Optima are built in the U.S. for their market.
The Rio is assembled at the Sohari Plant, just outside of Seoul, the only other plant for the Rio is in Yancheng, China but supplies only that market.

The Sorento for US and Canada is built in West Point, Georgia. At present the Optima built in West Point only supplies the US, Canada gets there's from the Hwaseong Plant in South Korea.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Which Opirus (Amanti) is built at Sohari (VIN digit "7")? Every Amanti I have ever seen was built at Hwaseong (VIN digit "5").

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Which Opirus (Amanti) is built at Sohari (VIN digit "7")? Every Amanti I have ever seen was built at Hwaseong (VIN digit "5").
It would be for there domestic market, as they still built the Opirus up to the end of April last year. The Amanti was discontinued in 2009 if I remember correctly so maybe at that time they were building from the Hwaseong plant for export. The Cadenza, its replacement, is definitely coming out of the Hwaseong plant.
The info I gave on the map was based on the official Kia info I got from Kia last fall.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I knew they kept building it, I guess I didn't realize they moved production. Since they no longer build the Sedona, are they only building the Rio at Sohari, or are they building something else there, too? Where are the K9 and Ray built?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I knew they kept building it, I guess I didn't realize they moved production. Since they no longer build the Sedona, are they only building the Rio at Sohari, or are they building something else there, too? Where are the K9 and Ray built?
actually the Sedona is still being built for export but the quantity is low on 1,627 for the first two months this year. I'm sorry but I don't have firm confirmation as to where the Ray and K9 are built. The Ray is very interesting vehicle, so much interior space for such a small vehicle and they've built over 4,000 for the domestic market for the first two months this year.

got these shots from a bus when I was over there last year:

update: the K9/Quoris is being built at the Sohari plant

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just got a VIN number for a Ray! KNACG811BCTXXXXXX
The T would suggest the model is built at the Seosan plant, alongside the Picanto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts