Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF just bought a new 2019 Sorento AWD and on the way home from the dealership noticed a very distinct vibration at 55-60 mph and above. It's bad enough that there's no way you could comfortably drive this vehicle for more than a few miles before your hands are numb. Has anyone else noticed this? We've had it back at the dealership. I actually went back into the shop and helped the service guy to road force balance the wheels and tires, that didn't help. Then just swapped the wheels and tires from another vehicle and that didn't help. The service department has contacted KIA and they are now having them remove the AWD system one part at a time to try to pinpoint the issue.
Just thought I would ask here to see if this is a one off issue or bigger.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,711 Posts
My GF just bought a new 2019 Sorento AWD and on the way home from the dealership noticed a very distinct vibration at 55-60 mph and above. It's bad enough that there's no way you could comfortably drive this vehicle for more than a few miles before your hands are numb. Has anyone else noticed this? We've had it back at the dealership. I actually went back into the shop and helped the service guy to road force balance the wheels and tires, that didn't help. Then just swapped the wheels and tires from another vehicle and that didn't help. The service department has contacted KIA and they are now having them remove the AWD system one part at a time to try to pinpoint the issue.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD LX V6
35 Posts
Sounds like the problem wouldn't be noticeable when it was driven off the assembly line and on & off the car hauler. Does this happening when the AWD is off, on , or both ??

Did the mechanic do a good visual check when the car was on the lift ? Sounds like the cause of the problem should be obvious. Could also be a problem with the front wheel drive.

Please let us know what they find.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
If it was not the tires or wheels that is a real big problem.
But when you have a problem with a car or a computer, you are NOT the only one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the Sorento EX sport in August the 11th and have already taken to dealership 3 times for this same issue. They told me that it was the tires and Kia paid me $750 towards a new set of tires. I put the best MICHELIN tires on this past Friday and still have the same issue and now the dealership basically told me to go somewhere else bc I can’t “prove” that it has an issue. Do not buy a Kia Sorento. I will give it one more shot and will be contacting an attorney for the lemon law.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
Could possibly be motor mounts, bad wheel bearing, a loose connection in the suspension.
I would give that car back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us updated please. I am getting the runaround from the dealerships. They don’t want to do anything about it past the tire issue, which is obviously not the problem since it is still doing it after replacing all 4 tires with Michelin’s.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 LX AWD 2019
24 Posts
I have similar issue, but not so bad. Sometimes the whole car just vibrates with fast frequency but not always, that's what is so baffling. Have had all wheels balanced, seemed to get a little better but definitely not gone. Always around 60 mph. Any ideas what checks I can do to find what issue might be? I will soon be getting winter tyres, let's see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
449 Posts
I had this happen in a 4 cylinder engine after a rebuild was done. The mechanic made a mistake and a balancing part flipped before he bolted it down. It was from the engine. I don't recall if I did but if you rev the engine in Park and it shakes like crazy there you go. You should not go above 4k on the tach though. Its not spinning that fast driving!!

You should call Kia customer relation/support head office to start with and report it. Also initiate a buy back process if they are willing to fix it and/or replace the vehcile. All are doable when new. The longer you wait the harder it becomes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I would give an update, although not great. So far, they have replaced 2 tires, switched the wheels, taken the AWD stuff off, replaced the transfer case and now are replacing the transmission. I'm past annoyed with this vehicle. She hasn't driven it 200 miles, and now they are replacing the tranny....it's no longer a new vehicle. I actually doubt the transmission is the issue. She's contacted an attorney to start the lemon law process, but I don't know that she will actually make it to that point before they change out the engine. I'm not sure ANYONE would be willing to buy a vehicle that has had every single part of the drivetrain replaced before it had 1000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,711 Posts
Thought I would give an update, although not great. So far, they have replaced 2 tires, switched the wheels, taken the AWD stuff off, replaced the transfer case and now are replacing the transmission. I'm past annoyed with this vehicle. She hasn't driven it 200 miles, and now they are replacing the tranny....it's no longer a new vehicle. I actually doubt the transmission is the issue. She's contacted an attorney to start the lemon law process, but I don't know that she will actually make it to that point before they change out the engine. I'm not sure ANYONE would be willing to buy a vehicle that has had every single part of the drivetrain replaced before it had 1000 miles on it.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really hate to hear that. I am ready to pursue lemon law as well. The dealerships around my area, aren’t even willing to acknowledge that there is an issue. They continue to say that they do not feel any “abnormal” vibration. I feel your frustration for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really hate to hear that. I am ready to pursue lemon law as well. The dealerships around my area, aren’t even willing to acknowledge that there is an issue. They continue to say that they do not feel any “abnormal” vibration. I feel your frustration for sure.
The problem this dealer has with the "nothing seems wrong" argument is I JUST bought a brand new 2020 Explorer ST, which is also an AWD SUV and there's just no comparison in the ride. So, I keep telling them they either have to make it ride as smooth as my AWD vehicle, or it's coming back. They know.....

Check the Georgia lemon laws. In NC, it has to have 4 visits, or 20 days in the shop, then you have to notify KIA that you are preparing to take legal action, in writing, or email. Then they have 15 calendar days to fix the issue. We are now in the 15 days phase. I honestly am hoping they don't fix it at this point. How strange is that???? After replacing the parts they have replaced, you KNOW something else will pop up at some point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts