Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I'm new here and I find this forum a great resource for Optima owners.

I've been driving my 2004 Optima for 4 months which I bought new. Recently, there's a soft vibrating sound which appears to come from the driver side dashboard when my engine speed is 1500 - 1700 rpm. It only appears when the engine speed is within that range. After checking extensively, there appears to be no loose panels.

The strange thing is that when the car is hot or cold started, it will go about half a mile without the irritating sound even though I try to make it appear by driving in that rpm range. I thought the sound may come from the engine bay but when I open the window it does not get louder. Also, it seems unlikely a soft vibrating sound can get into the cabin while much louder engine sounds can't.

Can anybody tell me how to determine whether it is coming from the engine or a body part vibrating? Please help! This is driving me nuts and I'm at my wit's end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daytonabob and 04Sorento,

thank you for your replies. I immediately checked the glove box contents and cover but both are not the source of the vibrating sound. It appears to be coming from the driver side where there is a flat area of dashboard above the instrument cluster.

The more I think about it, the less likely I think that it is from the engine. Hence I'll redouble my efforts to find what is in the cabin although I've tried almost every part.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Sounds like something might be loose in the dash. Take it back to the dealer and see what they can do for ya.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
not saying this is what it is but is it possible that someone stuck a coin in the toll ticket holder??? also trying duplicating the sound without driving the car just by accelarating the car without the car moving. it is also posible that since vibrations can travel in funny ways that maybe an a/c line is vibrating causing this sound so try turning the a/c off and on as the noise happens to see if it changes tone

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used to heard knocking sound on the left door whenever going over rough surface. Weird, the sound is gone when I fetch my wife during raining days.
Guess what - it's the umbrella sitting next to the seat!

Maybe consolation is this car might be too quiet, making such strange noise noticeble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thank you for your replies.

fastikia, the sound can be duplicated by accelerating the car without it moving. When it is moving, lifting the gas pedal will immediately stop the sound although the car is still moving at the same speed. Apaprently it is due to engine vibration causing resonance at a certain rpm. Turning off the A/C has no effect. It must be something very light to be able to resonate at 1500 rpm.

hattee, you are perfectly right. The cabin is very quiet so the sound becomes noticeable. It is much less noticeable when driving at speed on highways but irritating on quiet suburban roads.

Anyway, I'll be sending my car to the dealer tomorrow to see what he can do. Not very hopeful as I've already looked high and low. Will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello fellows, the problem is solved!

I took my car to the dealer and to my surprise he was able to find the noise and solve it in less than an hour. The vibrating noise actualluy came from under the car chassis from a loose bolt on the engine bottom cover.

The noise actually sounded to me like it was coming from inside the cabin but the mechanics did not waste time looking for the source inside. To their credit, they immediately looked for it outside the cabin and they were right. I guess this is where experience counts.

I'm kicking myself for not sending the car in earlier. It sounded so much like a loose vibrating part inside the cabin which I though I could find myself. This is a lesson on how deceptive things can be.

Thank you all for your comments. Case closed and I'm a happy driver again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm certainly smiling all the way to wherever I'm going. :) :) :) :) :) and enjoying the sound of silence :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Optima makes that annoying vibration too! Do you know where the bolt location is? now my car stop acceleration right. last weekend something happened and now its really jerked when accelerating. somethings majorally wrong. Maybe this "bolt" might have vibrated totally off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts