Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im driving around running errands and look down and notice that i have about 1/8th of a tank of gas, this has never been a problem before. i start thinking where is the cheapest gas and decide to drive a couple miles up the highway were its cheaper. then the car starts stutering like its running out of gas. it totally dies while pulling in to the gas station. i put 5 gallons in and try to start it like it had run out of gas, cycle the fuel pump by turning key to on for about 10 seconds and then off again about 5 times, doesnt start. i hold my foot on the gas a little and it jumps up to 5k rpms, then dies. so i cycle the key again for a while and nothing helps. at this point im wondering if gas was ever the problem. so let it set for a while trying to think and decide to put more gas in to see if it was bad gas, there has been a lot of that lately around where i live, sometimes you get more water than gas. walk inside and stand around for a little while and pay for another 5 gallons. fill it up and what do you know it starts and idles fine. or so i thought, as soon as i got back on the street it was stuttering again like on the highway. so i make it to a grocery store a couple miles and pull the negative on the battery and let it set for about 20min. try to start and it starts right up idles great. so i decide to drive it around the parking lot a little and it seems like its doing better and then no it totally dies and not even holding my foot on the pedal will get it doing anything. so i give up and get a ride home. now this is what sucks i left the next mouring on business and asked my wife, best friend, and older brother to figure something to do, mainly have my older brother ( works on cars for living ) to see if it is the fuel filter and if not tow it to the dealership and have them fix it. i get back and am told that it fixed itself runs great and the problem was the airbox not sealing well enough, i now i have no faith in anyone i know. so i have my wife take me to pick it up and it doesnt start, but know if i hold my foot just a little on the gas it will start and drive like the plugs are bad and the check engine light is on ( note that this is the first time the check engine light has been on though all this ). so i get it home and decide to see what happens when i do what they did and reset the ecu by puling the neg on the battery but instead of letting it sit i put the key to the on position and tap the brakes to fully discharge everything. put the beg on the battery and the car starts and runs the best it ever has. it was great i was so happy. so drove back home and turned it off and tried to start it again and it doesnt start with out giving it a little pedal and then runs like crap and has the check engine light on. sorry this is getting long. just to answer some questions that will be asked. gas cap is tight, not the problem. air, oil, and fuel filter are brand new, did that before typing this up. any help would be great, dealer wont look at car for a couple of days and i live 35mins from work and this is my only car. thanks for any help :57:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Well, when you started the novel (just kidding) I thought for sure it was a clogged fuel filter from sucking up debris at the bottom of a nearly empty tank. But, when you got to chapter 17 (again, just kidding) I'm thinking you need to have the car scanned for codes, and I think it will have a TPS (throttle position sensor) code. Try not to disconnect the battery before you take it in because it will erase any codes that are stored, even if the check engine light turned itself off.

About the only thing you can do is make sure that the sensor is plugged in. It's located near the end of the tube leading from the airbox. Just make sure it's plugged in and there is no corrosion or water in the connector.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dropped it at the dealer, was able to get it in early. they said that they think its bad fuel and wont try to check anything else until i pay $120 for an induction cleaning. ill let you know what they come up with next.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
25225. i called today and they told me that the bad gas had the injectors gummed up pretty bad and that my mass air meter was also messed up and they would order it and have it on tuesday. i may have never worked on a kia before but ive built/restored three other cars and dont see how an induction service ( prolly spraying amsoil* power foam in through the airbox ) is goin to clean up bad gas in the lines or injectors. the only reason i am even dealing with these people at all is because they are the only dealership around. whats bad is they are notorious for canceling warranties because of either a. moddifying any part or b. not following their recomended service procedures when you bring the car in for something else. i just dont want to be stuck down the road and the fuel pump go out and them tell me "well you didnt do our induction service and bad gas is what caused it to go out so it will be x amount of dollars and you have to bend over and take it" or something to that effect. let me know what you think and thanks for letting me rant, this is prolly just me mad about having to spend 120 bucks at the dealer instead of getting those bros gauges from kspec.

*Amsoil makes great products and i in no way mean to say that Power Foam cant do the job, its just not worth $120.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
So what are they going to do for the gummed up injectors? Remove and clean I assume, because I don't think induction cleaning would touch the injectors, not to the point of un-gumming them anyway. Hope it helps you though.

If you run some fuel system cleaner through it (added to the gas tank) you'll prevent the build up. It's more of a maintenance thing though; to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
He said he changed the filter though. Unless...he said it was "new", so I guess he could have changed it before this happened and it's now bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts