Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,I bought a 2001 rio witha bad auto trans as I had a good trans from a car my daughter wrecked. I pulled out the eng and trans,swaped the trans and changed the water pump , timing belt ,spark plugs and fuel filter.The car runs and drives fine but is very anemic.acceleration is slow and can't mantain speed on hills. Compression check shows 130 psi in all cylinders.Have good fuel pressure.Car doesn't use oil. so,any suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I agree with Wry 'cuda 130 is low check the compression and cat's issues. My second cat was blocked at 134k with the same symptoms no power up the hills but my compression was ok except for one cylinder. Try disconnection the pipe between the cats and see if that helps it may help you diagnose the problem. Also make sure you got all the electrical connectors right with the tranny/engine work. http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service material free in the USA. Please fill out your profile some more to help us some more. And don't forget the basics plugs/ wires/ fuel filter/ and the other stuff. Any history on the car you bought? Good luck with it , Reguards Ronjohn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll pull the cat of tomorrow.Unfortunately,I don't have any history on the car. Dont know if the car had this problem before the trans went. what should the compresion be on a healthy eng? worst case senerio, can I replace the 1.5 long block with a 1.6?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What should the compression be on a healthy engine?
Somewhere around 165 PSI.

You can do a rough calculation:
Atmospheric Pressure is 14.7 PSI, lower at high altitude.
Compression ratio is about 9:1
Therefore expect at least 14.7 x 9 = 132 PSI, but this is at constant temperature.
The compression process increases the temperature; there's an exponential component that adds about 25% -that makes 165 PSI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts