Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my sephia a month ago, and I have a question again...
At ~5500 rpm the engine starts to sound really loud!! I mean LOOOUD!! Below that rpm it sounds normal... like any other engine, but when it comes to 5500 it makes me think that it will blow up!!! The question is - IS THAT NORMAL??

I mean... I`ve already been driving Honda at 6500 rpm, and the sound is really good - not that LOUD! You can hear the cilinders and whistling sound, but that`s it...

Thanx for help in advance!

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
RPM is engine dependent. Some cars handle 6.5 some 5.5, some 4.5 and other 7.5.
If the engine sounds good till 5.5 mark, and it has power, and red line begins at 6.0 - then you know your answer. Honda could have it to 7.0

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia, 1992 Saturn SC, 1991 Saturn SC
86 Posts
The Kia 1.8L DOHC is not intended to be reved that high, it's not a Honda and it's letting you know when it makes that sound. Typically at the upper rpm when you hear it losing power you are "floating the valves" which is not a good thing.

You know when you go to the doctor and say it hurts when I turn my head to the right, but not the left, he says then don't turn your head to the right ! Its the same principle, if the car runs good below 5500rpm then stay below 5500rpm.:D

Kiaracer can probably help you more if you are wanting to mod or race youre Kia but in stock form they are no Honda.

Slydog :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts